BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Diff level plugs

More
10 Jun 2013 11:11 #73383 by helijohn
Diff level plugs was created by helijohn
Why is it always the same - I get a Suzuki second hand and I can never get the level plugs off to check the diff oil level. They have either never been checked for years so are almost welded in place or have been checked and whacked up tight by a really strong garage mechanic.

Even when new (and I have had precious few of those) some of the screws are so tight it's unbelievable. :woohoo:

Does anyone have any hints please before I put the impact air wrench to work? The front one already looks like a torx socket and I haven't even been near that yet. :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2013 11:21 #73386 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Diff level plugs
The diff and gearbox/tbox plugs are all 10mm square drive

You can use a 3/8 ratchet head but be careful not to round the holes!

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2013 12:05 #73392 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Diff level plugs
Heat it up a little

More
10 Jun 2013 16:55 #73417 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Diff level plugs

adamatdraycott wrote: The diff and gearbox/tbox plugs are all 10mm square drive

You can use a 3/8 ratchet head but be careful not to round the holes!

I started to use a 3/8 extension bar but it was beginning to turn so I stopped before I rounded it. I have a 10mm sump plug head but it was starting to turn too.

Heat it up a little

I did think of that - I always reach for the blowtorch in the end but I am tempted to try to drift it round with a chisel first.

Why are they always done up so tight, arghhhhhh. I have the front to do after and it is in a mangled state already. :( If these are this bad I am dreading the transfer box.

More
10 Jun 2013 20:08 #73434 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Diff level plugs
Mine came out easy with a few taps from a chisel.
Then I got the welder to it and fixed it up good ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

More
10 Jun 2013 20:11 - 10 Jun 2013 20:14 #73435 by helijohn

facade wrote: Mine came out easy with a few taps from a chisel.
Then I got the welder to it and fixed it up good ;)

It's a nice fix, I'll try it if I can get the *****out - looks like the chisel tomoz. :laugh: :laugh:

Or grind a few flats on the plug!! B)

Last edit: 10 Jun 2013 20:14 by helijohn.

More
12 Jun 2013 07:39 #73548 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Diff level plugs
I use a large set of Mole grips round the outside edge. This is now my usual way of undoing them. I don't do them up too tight (those that know me well may suggest I do not have the ability to under tighten things) and still they won't undo without rounding.

One day I'll get a nut welded on one but I fear that will lead to me over tightening them!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Jun 2013 08:16 #73556 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: I use a large set of Mole grips round the outside edge. This is now my usual way of undoing them. I don't do them up too tight (those that know me well may suggest I do not have the ability to under tighten things) and still they won't undo without rounding.

One day I'll get a nut welded on one but I fear that will lead to me over tightening them!

Kirkynut

I tried molegrips, I have a tube set that have curved jaws but no luck even when whacking with a hammer. I tried a chisel and still nothing. In the end it may have been a combination of those plus a little heat because in fairness the blowtorch was what did it. The front one was butchered before I even started on it. Also, I have ground a small pair of flats to get an adjustable spanner on them or just get a better grip with the molegrips. I doubt I'll need them next time because I tend not to overtighten things - things like these anyway - but like you say they somehow seem to get stuck regardless.

One motor I had simply had a bung! Can't remember what it was, it might have been a Jeep.

I fully expected to find dirty old oil in there but it was good stuff and was nicely topped.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds