BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Air operated front hubs

More
05 Jun 2013 19:24 #72883 by helijohn
If the air operating system on the front hubs fails to work does the vehicle automatically continue with rear wheel drive or is drive lost altogether being wasted at the front diff??

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2013 19:31 #72884 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Air operated front hubs
Will still drive the rear

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2013 19:31 #72885 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Air operated front hubs
Rear always on, front remains in the way it was when the vacuum system broke (if they were on, they stay on, if not, not).

More
05 Jun 2013 19:48 #72889 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Air operated front hubs

VAXXi wrote: front remains in the way it was when the vacuum system broke (if they were on, they stay on, if not, not).

So do I just jack it up and see if the front is freewheeling while 4WD is engaged?
I am not too sure I like freewheeling front hubs anyway. I get that it saves fuel but don't we want the drive shafts turning rather than not.
What do I do to engage them permanently??

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2013 07:35 #72915 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Air operated front hubs
You dont want the permanently engaged , do not use 4wd unless on loose ground
With the engine running put in 4wd and you could hear a clak sound as the hubs engade , jack one front wheel up and try to turn it if it spins freely the hubs are not working
Do this both sides as one may be working

More
06 Jun 2013 09:05 #72923 by helijohn

reaper wrote: You dont want them permanently engaged , do not use 4wd unless on loose ground

I'll try the jacking up and see what is happening thanks. ;) I want to see if they are locked with the engine off and 2WD selected.

I must admit I forgot the engine needs to run to provide vacuum.

My argument for having the front hubs engaged is that it keeps the drive train moving up to the transfer box. I wasn't referring to having the 4WD on using the transfer lever.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2013 09:17 #72925 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Air operated front hubs
you're fine with the front locked as long as you are in 2wd on the road

More
06 Jun 2013 09:44 #72926 by helijohn

darthloachie wrote: you're fine with the front locked as long as you are in 2wd on the road

That's what I was suggesting thanks.

More
08 Jun 2013 13:30 #73161 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Air operated front hubs
Just bin the vacuum ones and get fixed hubs or manual freewheeling hubs new / second hand with the spacers from the Bigjimny shop.

Fixed ones don't need the spacers and came on SJs or Vits and KAP supplied me with new ones. You just have to trim down your front wheel bearing nut's sealing ring that seals the air normally but stops the fixed hubs mounting properly. Unless you want to buy spacers for those of course but it's cheaper to cut them down.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Jun 2013 17:11 #73178 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Just bin the vacuum ones and get fixed hubs

Kirkynut

You'd have thought the vac ones could be modded to make them permanently fixed. After all the vac must be holding a mechanical part in place somewhere.

More
08 Jun 2013 19:04 #73187 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Air operated front hubs

helijohn wrote:

Kirkynut

You'd have thought the vac ones could be modded to make them permanently fixed. After all the vac must be holding a mechanical part in place somewhere.

I think they could. The outside ring slides over the inside that goes on the spines of the shaft connecting them both together and is drawn by vacuum not the spring on a manual hub.

I have thought about putting chemical metal between the spines of the inner and outer parts and letting it set with them in the locked position but there is some slack, albeit small between them and I fear the chemical metal will not stand up to the force of the drive in forward and reverse trying to take that slack up that the chemical metal is filling.

If you can weld I suppose you could weld it around the inside edge between the inner and outer parts but you'd have to grind it back and would have minimal weld so I fear the same could happen.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Try it and see what happens over time.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Jun 2013 19:20 - 08 Jun 2013 19:41 #73194 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:

helijohn wrote:

Kirkynut

I think they could. The outside ring slides over the inside that goes on the spines of the shaft connecting them both together and is drawn by vacuum not the spring on a manual hub.

I have thought about putting chemical metal between the spines of the inner and outer parts and letting it set with them in the locked position but there is some slack, albeit small between them and I fear the chemical metal will not stand up to the force of the drive in forward and reverse trying to take that slack up that the chemical metal is filling.

If you can weld I suppose you could weld it around the inside edge between the inner and outer parts but you'd have to grind it back and would have minimal weld so I fear the same could happen.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Try it and see what happens over time.

Kirkynut

Well if vacuum can keep them engaged you'd think that a bond of something like you describe would hold. I can and do weld (it's not alway pretty though :laugh: :laugh: ). TBH, if it was easy to get at I'd even try a cyano glue if I thought I could get away with it. I hate being dependent on a vacuum system. I realise that replacing them with fixed would be the ideal route but.......................

Last edit: 08 Jun 2013 19:41 by helijohn.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds