BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Internal and External cage.

More
05 Jun 2013 07:37 - 05 Jun 2013 08:04 #72791 by kirkynut

TomDK wrote:

Smoggy wrote: Kirky what diameter is the tubing on your cage please?

If you want to do it right. You'll need to use CDS 48 mm tubing. Can't remember if it's 2 or 2,5 mm wall thinkness.

But Kirkynut is spot-on. It's all about what the intended use is. But I wouldn't settle for anything less than 48mm CDS tube for internal cage. Safety above all.

My point with some of the external cage is that many of them stick out in a way that makes the jimny almost as wide as a LR Defender. Which makes no sense to me with such a cage, as the small size and weight of the jimny is its greatest force :)

You say use CDS Tom but again it comes back.to.intended use. There is no doubt that CDS is the best material to use but have you ever known of tubing to split it's seams?

I've been following the UK winch challenge scene for about 5 years now and have seen some scary rolls by trucks I know to not have CDS cages, my mate Kev being the one well known to me who had an end over end down a high steep hill.

I've also seen similar thing happen to an identical vehicle with a Safety Devices or Protection & Performance cage on it. Both external cages with internal cages linked via sandwich plates. They both performed the same.

So for pay & play with a little greenlaning, you would be fine with seamed tube.

On a Jimny, I'd say 40 mm is fine. Just don't skimpy on the wall thickness. Jimnys are light and cages are heavy, so the need to balance it is apparent.

Again it comes down to intended use and a Jimny is light, hence I question the 48mm you might use on a LR. It's a balance.

Obviously if you know your pay and play site has a god aweful hill with a real risk of an end over end & you insist on going up it with or without a rope on the front, get the best money can buy. Similarly if you intend to do competitions of any type. Perhaps get it made by a pro too. For what most of us do though, just apply common sense.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 08:04 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2013 15:43 #72841 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Internal and External cage.

This is my buddy's buggy. Perhaps not the prettiest buggy made, but very capable and with an insanely fast winch. 1:1 on wheel speed :)
It's made entirely of seamed tubing, and very strong build. Yet weight is "only" around 1800 kg's. So I agree that seamed tubing is indeed as possibility, especially if on a budget :)

But, CDS would still be my first choice. Also because it's lower weight. Seamed tubing is rather heavy compared to CDS tube, and as you say, the Jimny is light. But yes, a balance :)

The OMP internal cage is to me a great compromise. Offers good protection, fair price and probably the lightest internal cage available.

More
05 Jun 2013 16:21 #72845 by idiotmobil
any one got any pics of a jimny rolled with out cage and more intrest to me a soft top rolled as im going for a cage and this will get my ass in gear im going for a external cage but some how strengthening throught crossing the rear inside were the back seats would be im only in the thought process at the moment and a friends going to build it for me as he builds some of the best gt40 replicas in the country so hes up to the job

JIMNYLESS

More
05 Jun 2013 16:32 - 05 Jun 2013 16:35 #72847 by maverick

TomDK wrote:

... with an insanely fast winch. 1:1 on wheel speed :)

Indeed, that is a VERY FAST WINCH!! -- What is it?

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 16:35 by maverick.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2013 16:46 - 05 Jun 2013 16:48 #72850 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Internal and External cage.
It's from a Robur military truck.
It's a PTO winch powered by a 6.2 L turbo diesel via an automatic transmission.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2013 16:48 by TomDK.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2013 20:59 #72900 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Internal and External cage.

kirkynut wrote:

TomDK wrote:

Smoggy wrote: Kirky what diameter is the tubing on your cage please?

If you want to do it right. You'll need to use CDS 48 mm tubing. Can't remember if it's 2 or 2,5 mm wall thinkness.

But Kirkynut is spot-on. It's all about what the intended use is. But I wouldn't settle for anything less than 48mm CDS tube for internal cage. Safety above all.

My point with some of the external cage is that many of them stick out in a way that makes the jimny almost as wide as a LR Defender. Which makes no sense to me with such a cage, as the small size and weight of the jimny is its greatest force :)

You say use CDS Tom but again it comes back.to.intended use. There is no doubt that CDS is the best material to use but have you ever known of tubing to split it's seams?

I've been following the UK winch challenge scene for about 5 years now and have seen some scary rolls by trucks I know to not have CDS cages, my mate Kev being the one well known to me who had an end over end down a high steep hill.

I've also seen similar thing happen to an identical vehicle with a Safety Devices or Protection & Performance cage on it. Both external cages with internal cages linked via sandwich plates. They both performed the same.

So for pay & play with a little greenlaning, you would be fine with seamed tube.

On a Jimny, I'd say 40 mm is fine. Just don't skimpy on the wall thickness. Jimnys are light and cages are heavy, so the need to balance it is apparent.

Again it comes down to intended use and a Jimny is light, hence I question the 48mm you might use on a LR. It's a balance.

Kirkynut

Thanks guys for all your comments and views. I have considered the type of use my car is going to get and resulting protection required. I am getting an internal 48mm seamed cage with 4mm walls and ready welded sandwich plates at roof level first (styled like Renard's).

I will then paint my car whilst thinking about and saving up for the external component to bolt to my internal cage.

Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds