BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New to jimny mods worth doing

More
07 Jun 2013 09:26 #73053 by maverick

jonesyba420 wrote: surely putting a Lockrite locker on makes it all abit mental to drive on the road especially in the wet as you effectively have a permanently locked rear diff?! which is what you want in a car for drifting!

as the jimny is quite interesting to drive in the wet weather/snow etc is this really a good option?correct me if im wrong obviously:)

Actually NO!

With Power Steering on the Jimny the locker makes it no worse driving - but YES "you' need to know that you have a Locker installed as they do 'tend' to want to go straight-on, but once you have drivne it for a few hours testing what it does where and when you'll drive it second-nature!

Off road is where they give massive return on your investment - do it, you WILL NOT regret it.

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2013 09:29 #73054 by maverick

JuanGuillie wrote: It's like Supergaz and Maverick said, a rear-diff locker is one of the most interresting mod's that you can do, together with good offroad tyres.
I also did put a Centreforce Dual Friction Clutch, that gives me much more grip then the standard clutch.
I have a ARB-locker in the rear diff, very satisfied with this choice!

In the picture you see how i changed the interior and mounted a little compressor for the ARB-locker and possibility to blow the tyres.

Also an interior roll-over bar (an exterior is not allowed by Belgian MOT).
Fitted the spare wheel at the inside, like this there is less weight on my back door and behind the rear wheels.
When not offroading i still can put the backseats in, and then i put the spare wheel back on the backdoor in about 15 minutes.

I bet getting that spare-tyre out and putting a very-muddy/dirty one back-in, is not a very nice job!!

Jalapeño, IISY?

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 10:12 #73061 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
I bet getting that spare-tyre out and putting a very-muddy/dirty one back-in, is not a very nice job!![/quote]

Yes,... i don't need "Fitness practice" doiing this on regular base. ;)
I takes me around 5 min. to get the spare tyre out en put the flat one inside.
If its to muddy... i have always a big plastic sheet 2 x 3 square meter, very handy when you need to get under your car when wet and muddy. This plastic i can rap around the dirty tire and then put it in and strap it again with 4 straps.
If it's getting too muddy, no problem i let it dry up and clean it.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 11:10 #73066 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic New to jimny mods worth doing

maverick wrote:

jonesyba420 wrote: surely putting a Lockrite locker on makes it all abit mental to drive on the road especially in the wet as you effectively have a permanently locked rear diff?! which is what you want in a car for drifting!

as the jimny is quite interesting to drive in the wet weather/snow etc is this really a good option?correct me if im wrong obviously:)

Actually NO!

With Power Steering on the Jimny the locker makes it no worse driving - but YES "you' need to know that you have a Locker installed as they do 'tend' to want to go straight-on, but once you have drivne it for a few hours testing what it does where and when you'll drive it second-nature!

Off road is where they give massive return on your investment - do it, you WILL NOT regret it.

so with a locked rear diff it gives you more understeer rather than over steer?say going round a rounderbout.
how to drive your jimny on the ice;)

More
07 Jun 2013 19:28 #73106 by supergaz
I drove hundreds of miles up and down big hills in snow with a big grin on my face, That's with all terrain tyres and my Lockright and it was very sure footed in the snow and ice.

More
07 Jun 2013 19:38 #73107 by maverick
Driving in snow or ice WITHOUT a lockrite - if one wheel is on ice and the other end of the axle is on non-ice (aka tarmac) then you have zero drive -- with a locker you have drive on BOTH wheels regardless of lack of traction!

End of.

If you want to drive mine, you are welcome to.

I have been out with other 4x4's without lockers and people are just amazed as to why they cannot get places I can with VERY LITTLE revs ...

Jalapeño, IISY?

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 19:52 #73110 by jonesyba420
relax friend :)
i was never disputing the advantages of a locker offroad i was mearly questioning the practicality of it on road, my jimny is my daily driver thus i was wondering about the practicality of it in everyday use.

i have no doubt it vastly improves the offroad performance i have watched many videos on youtube and have been in situations myself when i know a locked rear axle would prove beneficial.

bit off topic but kind of related, are jimnys the same as a defender with its central diff locked? i know they lock the centre diff (which we obviously haven't got being part time 4x4) to prevent loss of traction from front to rear so was just wondering if our stock setup does this?

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 20:39 #73114 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic New to jimny mods worth doing
mmm I must admit I have always wondered how my front and rear ARB's compared to a defender's centre diff lock.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2013 22:29 #73122 by jonesyba420
how i understand it is the center diff lock on a defender only stops you losing drive front to back whereas having a front and rear diff lock like yourself prevents you losing drive from left to right therefor being superior. i think not 100% sure tho.

i meant does us not having a centre diff mean we're the same as a defender with a LOCKED center diff? ie having constant drive front to back.

ill ask my dad (a defender owner) he may be able to shed some more light on the subject :)

More
08 Jun 2013 07:04 #73137 by supergaz
As there is no centre diff on a jimny consider it as locked. This is why you cannot drive a jimny in 4x4 on the road as this will wind up and blow a diff/cv or shaft.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2013 19:57 #73207 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic New to jimny mods worth doing

jonesyba420 wrote: bit off topic but kind of related, are jimnys the same as a defender with its central diff locked? i know they lock the centre diff (which we obviously haven't got being part time 4x4) to prevent loss of traction from front to rear so was just wondering if our stock setup does this?

yep centre lock on a land rover does the same as a jimny in 4wd - locked centre and unlocked front and rear diffs

Smoggy's jimny with front & rear lockers is significantly more capable than a standard defender

the jimny's only significant downfall is its lower ground clearance as standard than a defender

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds