BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Noise on transmission

• colinjgraham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2013 16:26 - 22 Apr 2013 17:23 #69247 by colinjgraham
Noise on transmission was created by colinjgraham
Hi, this is my first post so I may be covering old ground. My jimny has developed a grating noise from the gearbox or transfer box. It is more pronounced in lower gears and on the over run. It is almost gone in 5 th. It sounds as if the gears are running dry but it had been regularly serviced and there is no sign of oil leaks. Any help or advice is very welcome, cheers
Sorry, big thumbs and little phone, could this be moved to the technical forum please
Last edit: 22 Apr 2013 17:23 by colinjgraham. Reason: wrong forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• barnes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2013 17:42 #69249 by barnes
Replied by barnes on topic Noise on transmission
Hi there have you dropped the oil on diff and transfer box? Is there oil in there or contamination of oil ie water/swarf?

• colinjgraham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2013 06:42 - 23 Apr 2013 06:43 #69302 by colinjgraham
Replied by colinjgraham on topic Noise on transmission
Hi, thanks for the reply, doing that today, hoping I don't find any swarf etc in there. I don't know the layout of the gearbox etc but it does run quietly in 5th so I hope that an oil change may help. I am away for a few days after lunch so I will post what I find when I get back, cheers, Colin
Last edit: 23 Apr 2013 06:43 by colinjgraham.

More
23 Apr 2013 21:08 #69337 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Noise on transmission
I've never heard one, so I'm not an expert on the subject but many people have complained of a similar noise and found the chain in the transfer box to have stretched.

Someone with some experience on it may be along soon to confirm my thoughts or blow them out of the water.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: colinjgraham

More
23 Apr 2013 22:59 #69355 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Noise on transmission
Possible, the chain touches the casing on the overrun, but I would have thought unlikely, the chain needs to be really worn, they are good for 150,000 miles if kept lubricated and not abused.

Not my photo, credit to the original poster

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2013 23:01 #69356 by facade
Other people have reported a grinding noise caused by the partial engagement of one of the front hubs, worth a look there.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• colinjgraham
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2013 16:31 #69529 by colinjgraham
Replied by colinjgraham on topic Noise on transmission
I have replaced gearbox and transfer box oils, no contamination. Local garage I use said gearbox bearings, £450 ish to strip and repair. Is that about right? Cheers

More
26 Apr 2013 16:49 #69530 by facade
£450 to remove and replace the gearbox strip it down, replace worn bearings and refill with oil sounds reasonable.

They will also tell you that you need a new clutch when the gearbox is off (which is sensible) but will cost another £100.

As to whether this is the noise, I don't know, I've not driven it, but do you trust the garage?

• Swifty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2013 18:55 #74944 by Swifty
Replied by Swifty on topic Noise on transmission
Hello, I have a similar noise on mine, did you get the work done and did it clear the noise?!?

More
24 Jun 2013 19:17 #74953 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Noise on transmission
Gearbox mount? Transfer box mount? Cat heat shield? Try the cheap stuff first and have a good poke around.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2013 19:48 #74958 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic Noise on transmission
I had similar noise and it was the input shaft bearing on the transfer box. Go under and have a wiggle. Excessive play and you will know there is a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds