BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny in the snow (with pictures)

More
22 Jan 2013 18:55 #59158 by supergaz
Love the gritter picture :-) I had fun around Rossendale, Lancashire looking for the steepest of hills. Having my smaller All-Terrains on along with my rear locker it was unstoppable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 20:11 - 22 Jan 2013 20:20 #59179 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
you should have asked the gritter if he wanted a tow!!! :P :P :P
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 20:20 by darthloachie.

• craigy123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 20:22 #59181 by craigy123
Replied by craigy123 on topic Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
There was a vitara giving it all behind me. Well, the driver was anyway. Soon showed him the way through. He wasn't laughing for long. The gritter driver had a right minter, never even acknowledged me. It's a total standard jimny. Apart from AT's on the rear. Now looking at insa turbo special tracks and a lift kit. Think ill keep this wee gem for next winter and the odd play day.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:27 #59182 by supergaz
Specail tracs are not as good in snow as all terrains, But awesome in mud.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 20:42 #59185 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
My special tracks gripped well last night, too well infact right up to the point I was travelling down a lane between great ayton and kildale. I ran into well over 3 feet of snow and in my haste to get through it up a bank I snapped one of the rear shafts rendering the Jimny useless :angry:

I have only just recovered it. Luckily it had not been broken into (probably cos it was so remote and noone else could drive to within half a mile). The bad news is I am now struggling to fix it to get to the Bakewell meet on friday, I even paid £42 to hire a trailer just 2 days ago :(

The race is on to get it fixed for 3rdFeb laning trip.

More
22 Jan 2013 22:02 #59199 by supergaz
Ouch, good luck for Friday.

Special tracs are fine in deep snow, its the compacted icy stuff where they will struggle. They self clean so well in mud and snow, good for mud but bad when it comes to icy roads as you want the tyre to hold on to the ice/snow like winter tyres do.
Quite tempted to go off roading in the mud with my smaller all terrains to give me less ground clearance under the diffs and less traction in the mud, just so maybe I get a chance of getting stuck ;-)

• distantcamera
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 02:48 #59232 by distantcamera
Replied by distantcamera on topic Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
Last night in my bog standard V-Reg Jimny with Bridgestone Duellers I went for a play. The snow had drifted quite deep in the Pentlands and I was beginning to wonder if I shouldn't turn back. Came across a bloke in a Rover 45 who was stuck and had blocked the road and was waiting for a Land Rover to come get him. No sign of the Land Rover so we managed to get the Jimny turned round on the single track road with ditches either side and I connected him to my towbar.

Little Jimny had no problems at all pulling itself and the rover through the drifts and back to a more civilised road surface. Well impressed with the Duellers - they seem to find grip on almost anything, which is strange as when I worked for West Lothian Council we had a Mitsubishi L200 with them on and that bloody thing couldn't get traction even on wet grass.

• craigy123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 08:34 #59246 by craigy123
Replied by craigy123 on topic Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
I had tow ropes a shovels in the Jimny just in case. Had the use the shovel a few times actually, mostly for other road users to get out.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 08:48 - 23 Jan 2013 08:54 #59250 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Jimny in the snow (with pictures)

supergaz wrote: Quite tempted to go off roading in the mud with my smaller all terrains to give me less ground clearance under the diffs and less traction in the mud, just so maybe I get a chance of getting stuck ;-)

dont worry - come with me to Silverdale when ours is back on the road and I'll get you stuck :evil:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 08:54 by darthloachie.

More
23 Jan 2013 17:18 #59301 by Johnniehec
Out with BORDC on Sunday, two Jimnys out of eleven.
Got to the summit near Lumsden, Aberdeenshire.
Perspective doesn't do it justice.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 17:30 - 23 Jan 2013 17:31 #59303 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
Looks amazing! Any vids?
Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 17:31 by GuardianAngel.

• craigy123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 21:15 #59347 by craigy123
Replied by craigy123 on topic Re: Jimny in the snow (with pictures)
Looks awesome. It's totally making me want to mod mine.......

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds