BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Hello

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2010 12:27 #3797 by Knight.
Hello was created by Knight.
Just popped in to say hi and have a nose around.

Have a friend who has offered there jimny to me for a grand, so just trying to find out wether its worth it for offroading and the odd commute to work. Getting rid of my LJ80

He is a bit dumb every time somthing goes wrong he puts into Mitsubishi main dealer to get it fixed and is no giving up on off roading :huh: last straw for him was four wheel drive has stopped working, i'm thining i may be able to fix this myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 18:34 #3801 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Hello
Hi there,

A grand is a steal unless it is particularly knackered!

In standard form they are not much cop off road but with a suspension lift and some bigger tyres Jimny's are ace.

The 4wd not working is probably just the vacuum operated front free wheeling hubs - bin them and get some SJ/Vitara manual free wheeling hubs and either cut down the front wheel bearing nuts or buy a pair of spacers from this website's shop to make them fit and you're laughing.

You can use the fixed hubs from an SJ instead if you want. They will be cheaper but the front diff will always be spinning causing un-necessary wear and more fuel usage.

Do it - you know it makes sense ...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 05:51 #3812 by Knight.
Replied by Knight. on topic Re:Hello
Got it for a grand :cheer: will post details soon.

More
15 Jul 2010 07:15 #3816 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Hello
As Kirkynut says, 4WD failures are straight forward to cure but a great bargaining point against sellers who do not understand.

Good luck with the new car but why are you selling the LJ, this is rapidly getting classic status!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 08:10 - 15 Jul 2010 08:12 #3818 by Knight.
I need some thing that i can use all year round and to get to work in the winter.

Classic yes i would say so, and look i have two on my drive B) also very hard to get hold of, the one on the letf i have borrowed off a friend which i have been using for the three months for a refrence and drive every now and then :) the one on the right is mine a project started but one i will not finish :( i put an SJ410 engine in moved battery and fuel tank to the rear cut down the doors.

Going to refurb the wheels on the one on the right and attempt to put them on the Jimny :)
Last edit: 15 Jul 2010 08:12 by Knight..

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 08:19 #3819 by Knight.
Here's the Jimny.

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 08:22 - 15 Jul 2010 09:18 #3820 by Knight.
And here is my last 4x4 that i really did not want to sell but new baby meant somthing had to give, so i amd just making a come back now starting small again :)

Last edit: 15 Jul 2010 09:18 by mlines.

More
15 Jul 2010 08:28 - 15 Jul 2010 08:29 #3821 by mlines
Aha! - I think I know who you are! I guess therefore you know who I am!

And if I am right then I also know the gold Jimny! "Woodley" and "TV4x4" will mean something to you and the gold Jimny was last run by a young lad in Woodley who's girlfriend lives in my road so we saw it regularly. Another club member with a Jimny, my son will be overjoyed. Drop around anytime (well almost anytime!) for a chat/advice (and we loved the Paj, you will find the Jimny a bit different!)

Martin

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 15 Jul 2010 08:29 by mlines.

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 08:42 - 15 Jul 2010 08:44 #3822 by Knight.
mlines wrote:

Aha! - I think I know who you are! I guess therefore you know who I am!

And if I am right then I also know the gold Jimny! "Woodley" and "TV4x4" will mean something to you and the gold Jimny was last run by a young lad in Woodley who's girlfriend lives in my road so we saw it regularly. Another club member with a Jimny, my son will be overjoyed. Drop around anytime (well almost anytime!) for a chat/advice (and we loved the Paj, you will find the Jimny a bit different!)

Martin

Yep thats me, i think i did see you out in the snow, out and about having fun pulling people out and yes that is most likley the boy, he just bought it and thought he could just abuse it with cleaning it or checking any parts. :ohmy:

Yes i really miss that paj i work very hard on it and spent alot of time and money on it, i was speaking to the guy who bought it the other day on TV4x4 forum who goes still goes out with TV4x4, he showed me so magazine pics of it out with TV4x4 i think i nearly cried :( :)

Might take you up on that other to pop in some time and take a nose at yours.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2010 08:44 by Knight..

More
15 Jul 2010 09:19 #3823 by mlines

he just bought it and thought he could just abuse it with cleaning it or checking any parts. :ohmy:

I didn't like to say until you mentioned it that it was certainly scruffier than a scruffy thing that was scruffy. However it will clean up well.

Martin

Martin

• Knight.
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2010 10:25 #3825 by Knight.
mlines wrote:

he just bought it and thought he could just abuse it with cleaning it or checking any parts. :ohmy:

I didn't like to say until you mentioned it that it was certainly scruffier than a scruffy thing that was scruffy. However it will clean up well.

Martin

Yep it certainly looks alittle messy even to the point were my other half is telling me to not bother and go buy an SJ, but i am going to look at it either tonight or tomorrow so hopefully it looks like i can bring some life into it.

More
15 Jul 2010 19:44 #3841 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Hello
Even if it needs some welding from rust and some servicing and maybe a bit of putting right - you'll still have got a bargain!

It's lifted and has tyres that will be fine for a while by the looks of it and are of a reasonable size too. So it's just a case of change all the fluids, check all the bearings, change the cambelt if it is that engine, drive it and have fun knowing that if you scratch/dent it, you didn't pay much so it doesn't matter!

Looks like you'll have great fun in it and it sounds like you know what to do with a spanner and you have the Bigjimny shop/all the advice you could ever need on your door step too!

I think you're onto a winner there!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds