× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

TPO's Jimny

More
24 Aug 2024 13:59 #257319 by TPO
TPO's Jimny was created by TPO
Hello folks

Picked this up yesterday, thought I'd share from the outset - perhaps someone here recognises it from a previous life?

I'm told the prior prior owner did all the modifications, I'm yet to figure out precisely what is stock and what isn't.

Apparently it needs some welding (non structural, hole below rear seats). First drive of 50ish miles was interesting, seems to like 50mph but not much beyond and chunky wheels mean the speedo reading is notably below actual road speed.

Plan is to get it to a mechanic ASAP for a general service and new MOT (zero history paperwork).

Anything specific you'd advise I get checked out?

Also looking for suggestions on improving braking power, it stops OK but I'm used to more assertive deceleration!

Thanks in advance,
TPO
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2024 14:41 #257320 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic TPO's Jimny
Looks tidy but they all do till you start looking at what can't be seen 
Problems/welding I would say remove.......... front inner arch liners check for rot on front panel, rear bumper, rear outer arches and both side panels in the boot 
fingers crossed it's a good one 
Big tyres and heavy wheels effecting brakes 

More
25 Aug 2024 00:06 #257334 by TPO
Replied by TPO on topic TPO's Jimny
I'll add those rust hotspots to the checklist, thanks

I appreciate that braking if definitely being affected by the additional unsprung mass of the larger and heavier wheels and tyres. Looking underneath, are the rears on drum brakes? If so, is there an option to convert to discs all round?

Any recommendations for reliable parts dealers in the UK welcome.

Also need to get another key cut. Is this a dealer only job?

More
25 Aug 2024 18:27 #257348 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic TPO's Jimny
Generally speaking, there is very little advantage to switching from drum to disc at the rear, especially on a vehicle as small/light as a Jimny, the rear brakes essentially just keep the car in a straight line.

Where rear disc can be an advantage is if you're frequently axle deep in soupy mud, mud gets trapped in the drum and makes a very effective grinding paste, you end up having to strip the drums frequently for cleaning, whereas, with discs, you can just hose them down.

More
26 Aug 2024 10:11 #257352 by jackonlyjack
Rear disc conversion available at jimnybits 
Doesn't make much difference in braking performance 
Bigjimny shop do a front conversion to vented discs some say this makes a difference 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Aug 2024 17:22 #257357 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic TPO's Jimny
Both of the available kits for front or rear are really more about heat management than actual braking improvement. The vented fronts are still the same diameter and the diameter is the main thing for improving the efficiency of the brakes. However. It is possible to improve the bite of the standard brake by fitting gucci pads and discs, mine are black diamond though I also have previously used ebc green stuff and their discs. I've found that the black diamond are really good for me having an automatic as I use the brakes more than a manual but I also do a lot of towing too so I really do torture test them frequently. It's also worth considering what you are doing with your jimny because if you are frequently in deep mud then you will be grinding the pads and discs with gritty muck so will be changing them far too often which makes my ones at nearly 200 quid far too expensive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Aug 2024 18:02 #257359 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic TPO's Jimny
I changed my 2011 to EBC Green stuff discs and pads, the difference was staggering, but then decided to sell the car about 6 weeks later, so someone benefited. My guess would be the discs I took off were original fitment, the pads had probably been replaced as there was plenty of material left.

My other car has Brembo disc brakes all round, but when it needs new discs and pads it will be EBC Green Stuff if they make them in that size.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
31 Aug 2024 00:55 #257375 by TPO
Thanks for the replies, all info is useful.

Main use for the vehicle is likely to be (a) the equivalent of a Polaris but more sturdy and (b) getting to a shop if there's local flooding or snow.

Perhaps for towing a mowing deck, but they're not heavy loads and expensive for a 2 stroke with three blades.

Quick look underneath and the rear brake drums look quite corroded, so will need replacing either with new drums or discs.

Green Stuff I've heard of, so might be a fair front option especially with the limited exposure to deep or frequent mud.

Other minor things I've noticed:
1) Passenger window non functional, could be switch or motor?
2) Dash bulb behind left side of speedo out
3) Doesn't want to engage 2L, jumps out of gear

Are these doable DIY jobs for someone with limited skill and tools or best left to a mechanic?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2024 04:28 #257376 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic TPO's Jimny
If the passenger window doesn't work it's probably the child interlock on the drivers side buttons has been engaged, it's the little square one in front of the 2 toggles.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Aug 2024 08:55 #257377 by jackonlyjack
Selecting low box 
Are you pushing down on the stick
Could be the stick catching bodywork 
This can happen if truck has a body lift
Remove the rubber gator and see what's happening 
2low is not an option unless have manual locking hubs[leave in un locked position] 
Or put a switch in to turn off the vacuum 

More
31 Aug 2024 09:46 #257378 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic TPO's Jimny
I have never heard of replacing brake drums because they were rusty.

Indeed with your indicated use cases, I'm not sure why you would have any interest in spending any time/money on the brakes at all, let alone for cosmetic changes.

My opinion: cross the rear brakes off your to-do list.

More
31 Aug 2024 18:32 #257381 by TPO
Gave it a go, but no joy. Window locking button in either position, passenger window unresponsive from either seat. Maybe it is that switch at fault, or the motor. I'll investigate further

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds