BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My 4th Gen Jimny in Mexico City (1 year ownership)

• cazaresd29
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2022 20:47 - 27 Nov 2022 20:48 #246140 by cazaresd29
Hello all!

I already have been more than a year with my Suzuki Jimny and this is my first post in the forum. So let's begin with the very basics, as some of you may know, here in Mexico the Jimny was sold only through a pre-sale, a special website was available at a given day at 16:04, get a code, have that code to a dealership, make the upfront payment of 20,000 MXN (about $1k USD) within the next 72 hours and pay the rest in about a month or three, depending on the presale. There has been about 15 presales selling around 1,000 units from Nov 13th, 2020 through Nov 17th, 2022, mine is from Aug 19th, 2021; not all the units are completely new to the presale, some of them were Jimnys stucked in the process of paymant, car loan, etc. And as other countries, the Jimny skyrocketed their price in the second-hand market, some of them sold way overr 30% of the MSRP (which is fixed in Mexico, retailers are not supposed to increase the price at all, but in my case it happened in a different way).

So my Jimny is a 2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX TM Protek Bitono; up to the GLX is clear to this forum, but "TM" stands for "Transmisión Manual" (Manual Transmission), "Protek" was a created version by the corporate in Mexico, as they though that many Jimmy owners were going to buy many accessories, these accesories were accumulating in the warehoses, so the "Protek" version included the genuine Suzuki Rubber Floor Mat Set LHD (PN 75901-78R60-000) and the genuine Suzuki Differential Guard for front (9912J-78R30-000) and rear (9912J-78R40-000), for me, this was the price to pay (+12,500 MXN / 625 USD) for the mix of manual transmission and the "Bitono" color; which is the last part, "Bitono" refers to "dual color", sold for the Verde Obsesión (Obsessive green) name given to the known "Kinetic Yellow", which was an extra of (+6,000 MXN / 300 USD).

I remember well when I took it out of the dealership, it was a complete different type of animal, I was coming from a 2019 Suzuki Swift Boosterjet 1.0, and before that, a 2008 Seat Ibiza Sport 2.0 8V; so the unprecise steering and the higher seating position were creating interesting feelings in me, but I was so sure I was taking out a very interesting vehicle and was worth the difference, and being a Jimny I started to put its first accessory I got since the moment I got the presale code: a Thule Spare Me Pro, to carry two bikes on the spare tire in the back of the Jimny.

After this just the obligated plastic covers for the rear defroster, I got them on Amazon, also some window sun shades for all the windows and during this month, a 3M automotive security film (you know, Mexico City, but also to give some privacy) and a genuine wind deflector (with this I did my first contribution to the Big Jimny Wiki).

It has been an amazing year with the Jimny, life took me to go back again to my hometown which is 1400 km road trip, and back again to Mexico City, with my road bike in the back. I have been into a basic training for off road near Mexico City, went off road near Tlaxcala, where the "Santuario de las Luciernagas (Firefly Sanctuary)" is. It has been already in mud, snow, forest, and of course the full-of-potholes streets of Mexico City. This is kind of a really nice car for a type of city as Mexico City, can get a pothole without suffering, find a nice parking spot, no need to be driven fast as the traffic does not always allows it, I would only like to have a better seat sometimes.

Future modifications for this second year of ownership shall include those ones oriented to comfort and cargo: upgrade front speakers, install rear speakers, the door grip storage pockets, the cargo roof net, etc. By the way, does anybody has any experience installing the heated mirror set? I think is a very nice feature that was not offered here in Mexico.
Redarding off-road capability, I would like to wait a little more, as again, life got in the middle and I have other expenses to make, but the JimnyStyle suspension lift kit sounds appealing, any experience? Also, regarding tyres, the 215/75R15 Toyo Tires Open Country AT3 is kind of cheap here: $2,300 MXN / 119 USD / 98.56 GBP (at the time of writing this), I think could be an excellent option regarding pricing and performance. Other type of mods such as engine or lighting will wait maybe even more, but I think the Jimny is working good for my needs.

The attached picture is how it looked after putting the wind deflector and is its actual status.
Hope you like the text here, and the almost stock Jimny look.

Thanks,
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2022 20:48 by cazaresd29.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Nov 2022 05:15 #246142 by Lambert
Nice car, sounds like you are enjoying it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Nov 2022 09:24 #246143 by mlines
Nice write up.

The heated wing mirrors simply bolt on and plug in on European, Australian and New Zealand vehicles. You possibly need to check if the wires are in the door connector as it is possble that they are not there in your market.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
29 Nov 2022 07:45 #246149 by Soeley
Hello and welcome, nice introduction 

More
29 Nov 2022 16:48 #246154 by Motacilla
Hola Raul!  It is really interesting to hear about a Jimny in Mexico, thank you for posting!

I can see why the Jimny is a good vehicle for the Distrito Federal.  I got my Jimny because where I live (north Europe on the Baltic) it is very rural, with many rough roads, and lots of snow in the winter.  But when I am in the city, the Jimny does really well-- it is small and easy to park, the high seat makes visibility good, and as you said it does not care about potholes!

About the heated mirrors, as Martin says the first step is to make sure your car has the wiring in the door.  You can see his videos on YouTube here .  He has a video about adding the heated mirror assemblies that shows each step, and also shows the wires that you should look for.  If you do have the wires in the door, you can add the heated mirrors easily.  You can also add just the glass part instead of the whole mirror assembly, which is cheaper but slightly more complicated.

We all paid a little extra to get our Jimnys I think.     But you got a good one with some nice options.  It looks like you have the LED headlights with washers-- that is a nice feature that is not available in Europe anymore as far as I know.

Thanks again for posting!

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds