BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:660cc jimny in japan

More
23 May 2022 12:21 - 23 May 2022 12:23 #243419 by joe
660cc jimny in japan was created by joe
Hi there. I'm joe and I've just bought my first Jimny.

I have been driving my 2007 Jimny XG, 660cc, auto, now for a week. In that time I've been off road a number of times and I love it. After searching for tyres, I settled on Geolandar M/T and I'm very pleased with them. 

As for history, I have no off road experience except for bikes. Now I look forward to getting into the mountains every day, and eagerly plan my next trip. I try to talk other people into going off road too.

My compulsion knows no end. I now take pictures of the new addition and share them with my friends. Sometimes I'll go into the Jimny and just soak up the vibes. I'm on a holy quest for the perfect mountain.

Clearly, I have lost my mind. I'm hoping to find similarly-afflicted individuals here.

Cheers,

joe 

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 May 2022 12:23 by joe. Reason: grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2022 13:58 #243420 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 660cc jimny in japan
Welcome to the forum. Bit of a rare thing you have there, we don't get many KEI versions on this forum, though I might give somebody's right arm to have one, too cool.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 May 2022 15:31 #243423 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic 660cc jimny in japan
Hi Joe.
I'm a fan of turbocharged, triple-cylinder petrol engines as I drive a Dacia Logan MCV with Renault's 899cc TCe 90 engine. This engine pulls the large and heavy Dacia along very successfully and economically.
I would love the opportunity to drive a Jimny with a 660cc engine.

More
25 May 2022 10:13 - 25 May 2022 10:17 #243446 by joe
Replied by joe on topic 660cc jimny in japan
Hello, Lambert, thank you for the welcome. 660cc cars are the norm here due to the various taxes imposed on drivers. It's expensive to keep a car in Japan and, with the speed limits being so low here, 660cc not a bad choice. Are there no 660cc Jimnys in the UK? 

Cheers,

joe
Last edit: 25 May 2022 10:17 by joe.

More
25 May 2022 10:17 - 25 May 2022 10:18 #243447 by joe
Hi, Doctorchris, thanks for the response. It's a lot of fun and the more I drive it, the more I enjoy it. Certainly different to the 2004 Daihatsu Mira Gino I traded it in for. Loved that car but rust became a big issue. 

Cheers,

joe
Last edit: 25 May 2022 10:18 by joe.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 May 2022 10:23 #243448 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 660cc jimny in japan

Hello, Lambert, thank you for the welcome. 660cc cars are the norm here due to the various taxes imposed on drivers. It's expensive to keep a car in Japan and, with the speed limits being so low here, 660cc not a bad choice. Are there no 660cc Jimnys in the UK? 

Cheers,

joe

Not officially no. It's unfortunate that they never imported them or indeed the whole idea of KEI cars into the UK as I think they are perfectly suited to our cities and country roads,far more than things like full sized range rover or any of the other monsters we have.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 May 2022 20:13 #243451 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic 660cc jimny in japan
Hello and welcome, nice looking Jimny.

More
27 May 2022 08:24 - 27 May 2022 08:25 #243460 by joe
Hi Lambert

I have to agree with you. The only downside to the kei car is that they're not build for long distance travel. Many are very roomy, loaded with extras, are very reliable and have even got a bit of poke, especially from a standing start. You could do much worse than a kei car.

Cheers,

joe
Last edit: 27 May 2022 08:25 by joe.

More
27 May 2022 08:34 #243461 by joe
Hello, Soeley, thanks for the welcome.

I can see myself acquiring an air compressor, a winch and diff locks and a few other bits and bobs. But, I'm in no real hurry. I also need to find a better way to carry my shovel; bouncing around in the back is not ideal.

That cursed acquisition disorder... and my quest for the perfect mountain is ongoing.

joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
27 May 2022 11:12 #243462 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:660cc jimny in japan
Hi Joe
I'm very impressed with your kei jimny, is it the turbo version? I hear there are 3 different versions of the kei jimny, I'd be interested to hear what that type is like in a 4wd with it's engine's different firing pattern than a 4 cylinder, do you know if your jimny is lighter than a 4 cylinder jimny?
Thanks Neil

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

More
27 May 2022 14:48 #243465 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:660cc jimny in japan

joe wrote: Hello, Lambert, thank you for the welcome. 660cc cars are the norm here due to the various taxes imposed on drivers. It's expensive to keep a car in Japan and, with the speed limits being so low here, 660cc not a bad choice. Are there no 660cc Jimnys in the UK? 

Cheers,

joe

Hi Joe
Is there a large number of jimny kei cars in Japan, are they easy to find?
Thanks Neil

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

More
28 May 2022 07:12 #243468 by joe
Replied by joe on topic Re:660cc jimny in japan
Thank you, Old Neil.

Yes, I have the turbo version but curiously, despite my love for cars, I'm not very technical and I'm unable describe the differences between the 3 and 4 cylinder's firing pattern in 4WD.

I have the XG and I believe it is 970kg (or thereabouts).

As for availability of the 660cc Jimny here, yes, there are plenty and easy to find. A quick nationwide search on the most popular used-car network (with no filters) brings up these numbers:

Jimny 660cc (all years/grades) - 4955
Jimny 1000cc - 1
Jimny 1300cc - 3
Jimny 660cc L version - 3
Jimny 1300cc Sierra - 778
Jimny 1300cc Wide - 21

And of course these figures don't take into consideration Jimnys available at auctions all across the country, on other used-car websites, or at smaller garages that don't advertise on the Internet.

Hopefully these figures will give you some idea of availability and the popularity of the 660cc version over the other engine sizes.

Happy off-road adventures friend! Perhaps we can share some stories someday.

joe

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds