BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Insa Turbo Rangers - Gen.4

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
18 Sep 2019 18:50 #213681 by DAGZOOK
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a couple of tyre choices for the Gen.4 - I was hoping to pick your brains on Re-treads..

I appreciate it's a little bit of a sore subject and some people are dead against them for their own reasons. But on the subject of Re-treads, in this case the INSA TURBO RANGERS - has anyone owned these that could recommend them? I've read a few old wives tales online that say they're made using the discontinued mould that was used to manufacture the old BFG KO.

Secondly, my concern with re-treads is that they provide no information on the number/type of plies. I guess this is because each tyre could theoretically come from a different donnor brand of different qualities? do they group them at the pre-manufacture stage using their load & ply ratings? that would mean the new tyres have a ply and load rating on the side? Theoretically you could end up with 4 totally different tyres (internally) all having different weights??

www.clevedontyresandservice.co.uk/TyreSe...o+Ranger+AT+19580R15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2019 19:47 #213683 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Insa Turbo Rangers - Gen.4
I have to ask, why would you even consider it when you can buy mid-range tyres for the same money? Even premium brands like Yokohama and Bridgestone A/Ts in 195/80 are only £14 more each fully fitted.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Sep 2019 04:26 #213692 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Insa Turbo Rangers - Gen.4
I really wouldn't. You're paying healthy money for an outdated tread pattern formed onto an unknown carcass that has already had a life, using a non premium rubber compound. Yes it could be argued that it is more environmentally conscious but a typical remanufactured tyre has a real world life expectancy of 2 or maybe 3 years before it is either worn or showing a defect. There are better options.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
19 Sep 2019 05:00 - 19 Sep 2019 05:21 #213693 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Insa Turbo Rangers - Gen.4
You’ve both made really fair points. I haven’t settled on them, they were just an option. I don’t feel I know enough about them to make a judgment! Main concern is the type of carcass being inconsistent from tyre to tyre
Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 05:21 by DAGZOOK.

More
19 Sep 2019 07:43 - 19 Sep 2019 07:46 #213695 by Max Headroom
....and just to confuse the issue some more :evil:

Aircraft tyres are remoulded many times throughout their life and this practice has been going on for years, (food for thought when you're on your next flight to Ibiza with Queasy Jet budget airlines :lol: ).
In fact I'd say that most of the tyres I fit to our Airbus A330s are remoulds rather than new - these aircraft are landing at high speeds (sometimes heavily/badly in poor weather) but if the tyres show no sign of damage they remain on and can fly again until worn out or damaged. An A330 typically lands with full flap applied at about 135 knots - thats around 155mph.
However, there is a bit of a difference; aircraft regulatory standards are much stricter and more controlled and the other point worth noting is that land-based vehicles can only have the tyres remoulded once.

You'll find info on remoulds HERE

Now, having said all that, and with the Jimny being a potentially skittish short-wheelbased vehicle, I will never fit remoulds myself.
Having driven in Norway during the winter I fully understand the benefits of winter tyres, and how they markedly help - so my choice is always a new tyre.
We dont get Norwegian-like winters in the UK and if/when we do, it doesn't last too long, so I'm therefore a huge fan of the compromise of All-Season tyres.

Just my Ha'pence worth ;)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 07:46 by Max Headroom.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2019 07:50 #213696 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Insa Turbo Rangers - Gen.4
I'm not a supporter of remoulds but as environmental pressures are applied they could well be the future. Never say never.
Chris

More
19 Sep 2019 08:55 #213699 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Insa Turbo Rangers - Gen.4
The problem that a lot of people have had with remoulds is balancing. Given the sensitivity of Jimnys (Gen3 ) to wobble this can be an issue for raod vehicles,

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
19 Sep 2019 10:56 #213700 by DAGZOOK

Max Headroom wrote: In fact I'd say that most of the tyres I fit to our Airbus A330s are remoulds rather than new

Max that’s awesome that you work on A330’s as well. We’re part of the same club B)

That being said aviation quality standards, EASA & FAA etc are in a different league. Aircraft tyres that are remoulded use the exact same carcass each time their remoulded. Where as automotive remoulds = lucky dip as to whether you get a premium or a budget carcass.

Thanks all for your advice, definitely going to stick to a new tyre. The Hankook dynapro atm rf10 195/80/15 is on my radar!

More
19 Sep 2019 16:24 #213708 by jackonlyjack
dynapro atm rf10 is not a bad tyre ;)
And by judging the price hike they are now popular
3 years ago they where under £50 for 195's
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
19 Sep 2019 18:08 - 19 Sep 2019 18:10 #213715 by Max Headroom

DAGZOOK wrote:
Max that’s awesome that you work on A330’s as well. We’re part of the same club B)

Ha! Snap!

Where are you working?
I'm at Air Tanker so ours are converted to refuel the sports models, but we have a couple loaned out to Tommy Cook at the moment - although I think last time I saw them they were badged up as Condor; Jet 2 didnt take them on this year.

Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 18:10 by Max Headroom.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
19 Sep 2019 18:34 #213717 by DAGZOOK
Max, You’re on wing which is pretty awesome. I work for a large British company who I won’t name for PR reasons. We overhaul the Trent 700 engines for the fleet :whistle: B)

More
19 Sep 2019 18:35 #213719 by Max Headroom
You're busy then! :laugh: :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds