BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My 2013 Jimny

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2019 21:03 #207702 by Sergiu
My 2013 Jimny was created by Sergiu
Hi everyone,

This is my small offroader, a 2013 Jimny bought in December 2012 as my first car and I've been enjoying it since then both as a daily driver and as an offroad toy. Although it is not in the color that I imagined but it suits it quite nicely and seems to be a fairly rare one.
So far what I have done to the car consists of a 4 cm suspension lift, skid plates for the front diff, transfer case and fuel tank, an ARB locking rear differential, a steering shock absorber and finally a steel bumper together with a 8000 lbs. winch. So far I've remained with the factory tire size (but not for much longer) and this combination seems to work pretty good both on and off road, although looking back the steel bumper was not the best of ideas and I'm hoping to change it with a custom winch mount and original plastic bumper, if I can find time for this project.
Here are a few photos from various trips that I have done over the years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 May 2019 05:55 #207705 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My 2013 Jimny
Welcome to the forum. Looks good. Lovely views too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2019 07:35 #207711 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My 2013 Jimny
Welcome to the forum nice jimny and some great terrain for it

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2019 19:03 #207902 by Sergiu
Replied by Sergiu on topic My 2013 Jimny
Thank you, there certainly are great areas around here. Also here is another photo from when I brought home my other "Jimny".

Attachment not found

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2020 10:23 #227864 by Sergiu
Since I last posted quite a few things changed with the Jimny, the most important one is that I managed to replace the steel bumper with the factory plastic one and make from scratch a very compact (and tightly fitting) hidden winch mount. I also upgraded the tires to 205R16 Maxxis Trepador ones on 16" Grand Vitara steel wheels, the fitment was surprinsingly good, with only minimal amount of cutting on the bottom on the front bumper. The ride is so much better now compared to the old MT retreaded tires, although the bigger size and extra weight can be felt on both performance and fuel consumption.
The next thing on the list is putting a front locker and I also want to upgrade to bigger 26-spline HD shafts at the same time. I saw that they are available from Trail Gear and Protrack. Does anybody have any experience with any of these axle shafts?

Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2020 01:14 #227910 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic My 2013 Jimny
I can't give personal experience on axle shafts as mine are still sitting in the U.S. waiting to find a way to the Philippines. I would only add that you might also want to look at RCV axles. I'm not familiar with the Protrack but the company has been doing tcase gear sets for the Jimny for quiet a while. The Trailgear have a good reputation. The RCV are a little more expensive than the Trailgear and are a little stronger. If you are looking to purchase locally, the Trailgear has a wider distribution network than RCV.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2020 20:12 - 21 Sep 2020 20:14 #228418 by Sergiu
Thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't aware that RCV made axle shafts for the Jimny, and in the end I went with this option, hopefully they will arrive soon and they are certainly not as easy to find in Europe as the Trailgear ones. There was also the option for the Trial Jimny axle shafts, but apart from the cost they do not work with the factory vacuum hubs which was a big deal to me. I hope the fitting will go without issues.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2020 20:14 by Sergiu.

More
22 Sep 2020 00:32 #228430 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic My 2013 Jimny
Well done. Keep us posted on the details of the installation.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2020 07:33 #230271 by Sergiu
Not much news regarding the locker installation as I still need some parts to make the modification, but in the meantime I brought home another car with the Jimny, always a rather interesting experience especially on the tight mountain roads around here. With this occasion I also noticed I need to make some changes to the winch mount, being the first I used it and the rope fitting a bit too tight. The right rear wheel bearing is also on its way out, started leaking oil right after getting home...

Attachments:

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2021 21:18 #232046 by Sergiu
As I was mentioning before, at the beginning of this winter I managed to install an ARB front air locker together with a set of RCV HD front axle shafts.
Altough I was familiar with all the implications and work necessary to mount it, it wasn't really the weekend project I intended it to be, all in it took me about a week to finish the entire installation, not great when the car is your daily driver.
I won't go into detail about the actual installation of the ARB locker as I think there are quite a few videos regarding this and the ARB instructions (which can be freely downloaded) are pretty much on point, but I will focus on the issues I encountered.
I attached a few photos here and for those who are more curious about the technical details I added more photos here .
The first problem I had was the choice of front HD axle shafts, RCV Performance, although probably as strong as they claim they are, contrary to what the website and technical support are saying, they are not a direct fit for a Suzuki Jimny as RCV went the cheaper route and just used a Samurai CV joint instead of the Jimny ones. In case anyone is wondering which are the differences between a Samurai and Jimny CV joint, the Samurai one is longer by about ~13 mm, has snap ring groove at the end of splines (Jimny has it at the beginning) and is missing the shoulder for the rear vacuum seal and all of this meant in my case manual free wheeling hubs with thick spacers as nothing else would work, not a pleasant surprise. My choice for the hubs was the factory Aisin Samurai ones and this setup was a perfect fit for the factory Jimny E-Torx hub bolts. Another possible issue with the RCV shafts is the fact they do not have a ground portion for the oil seal, the shafts are supposed to be polished but in practice they are a bit rough, certainly not as polished as the CV joint itself, remains to be seen how long the oil seal lasts
The next issue I had was related to the vacuum system and the 4WD controller, probably because I have a type 9 Jimny the 4WD controller was updated and expects input from the vacuum switch for both locking (closed circuit) and unlocking (open circuit), so shorting the switch would not work. Interestingly even so the transfer case would shift perfectly through all the position, but it messes up the light on the dashboard so you are stuck with memorising the transfer case position, not very good. Plugged the pipes going to the hubs and everything was back to normal.
Other notes regarding the installation, I tought I was smart by not removing the spindle from the swivel housing and it worked great for disassembling, however putting it back together this way was very difficult and took far too much time time to get it just right. Also at this step it is a perfect occasion to replace the kingpin bearings and seals, for the work involved in my opinion it is false economy to not replace them all. Lastly for drilling the hole for the air fitting it is useful to put a piece of wood between the casing and the pinion so as not to hit the pinion with the drillbit like I did.

Overall the installation went pretty good and at the end everything was working fine with no leaks. Since then I did ~ 3 trips where I used the front locker without issues, however because pretty much all trails were either mud or snow it is hard to know how much it is helping. Either way for me this was a great mod and one I wanted for a very long time.

Attachments:

• Sergiu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2021 18:43 #233467 by Sergiu
Small update as the car passed another year's service and everything is good with the exception of an occasional loud metal banging sound which happens rather randomly, sometimes on rough roads, sometimes on smooth tarmac or when braking, it varies. At the moment I am kinda stuck with this issue, after 2 trips to the service and 1 MOT passed everything looks and works fine under the car, maybe somebody has an idea?
Bought a set of old-school Bosch driving lights, quite massive for the little Jimny but I like the look of them, maybe I'll even get around to fitting them:)

And a few photos of winter fun now that we are moving to spring:)

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Mar 2021 05:21 #233474 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic My 2013 Jimny
Could the noise be the exhaust catching on something, as the rubber mounts age they can allow too much movement?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds