BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4

• buddhuu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2019 09:27 #207657 by buddhuu
Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4 was created by buddhuu
Hi all.

First post.

I just got my 3rd Gen3 Jimny. I bought a brand new JLX back in 2001 and (due entirely to my negligence) eventually killed the engine and let the floor rot away. After that, I bought a used 2007 Jimny. That one apparently had serious corrosion issues when I bought it - which had been concealed with filler and paint. It also had frame and suspension issues that I was told must have been due to a serious accident in its past. It lasted a couple of years for us. Anyway, enough of the shameful history of Buddhuu the Jimny Killer.

The SZ4 I just bought from a Mitsubishi dealer is a 2015 example. It seems immaculate, has about 50k clocked up, and runs beautifully. After the last one, I took what precautions I could against being sold another lemon, but this one seems really nice. I traded in a very nice 2006 5-door RAV4 for the Jimny. TBH, nice though it was, I only ever bought the Toyota because I couldn't find a decent Jimny at the time I was car shopping. My wife won't drive something the size of the RAV but she's quite happy in a Jimny, and we're downsizing from two cars to one.

Not sure what I'll do about mods yet. We've never been serious off-roaders beyond taking advantage of 4x4 to get to awkward places. One thing is certain though: something has to be done about those speakers...

Hopefully, I've attached a few pics.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 May 2019 09:38 #207659 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4
Welcome to the forum. Nice colour!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2019 09:55 #207661 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4
Love that colour too. Its kinda like range rovers "corris grey". Always liked that shade, so much so.....i painted my rc4wd landy in it.

Anyways...... welcome to the forum.

Andy.

• buddhuu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2019 10:18 #207664 by buddhuu
Replied by buddhuu on topic Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4
Thanks, guys. :)

The original plan was to get a Gen4 but that preposterous waiting list put paid to that idea. Maybe in a couple of years...

If anyone has any heads-ups about known issues with this 2015 model, or things to watch out for on the maintenance side, I'd be grateful. Equally, any suggestions for modest, fun mods are welcome. Where hands-on work is concerned, I'm a guitar repairer, not a mechanic so nothing too ambitious, LOL.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 May 2019 10:32 #207665 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4
They are generally reliable and very easy to work on. Biggest thing is rust prevention measures which are regularly discussed on here and as they get older the front axle will need some looking after as the king pin bearings are notorious. Beyond that it's just routine oils etc. There's tons of information in the wiki section at the top.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: buddhuu

• buddhuu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2019 10:39 #207668 by buddhuu
Replied by buddhuu on topic Buddhuu's 2015 Jimny SZ4
Thanks, Lambert. Working my way through the wiki is on the to-do list, as is checking it for rust when I get some ramps. The doors, sills and rear floor all look ok from up top.

I'm about to move house from Hertfordshire to Cornwall. When looking for a house to rent I'll keep my fingers crossed for a garage with a pit. I'm getting a bit old for sliding around horizontally underneath a car looking at bits I don't understand...

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds