BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

CAE's Daily Jim

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Jul 2018 17:16 #194668 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic CAE's Daily Jim
The bearing in the pulley goes and its expensive to replace the whole compressor as apparently its not a serviceable part. Ive found you can remove the pulley from an old one i had about, but its an on the bench job.

Its probably got a 4pk850 belt driving the power steering pump (shorter than the AC belt).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2018 23:32 #194672 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Hm, I've just ran a quote on 1st spares. Can pick up a air con compressor for £40. I am wondering if that will come with the pulley though. I am also curious if the system will be completely knackered as it has been exposed to the open air for what I can only assume has been a long time.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2018 00:23 #194673 by jim
Replied by jim on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Nice little project. My compressor went,I got a later one from a scrapyard. 8n the meantime 8 fitted the shorter belt but after driving it I havent felt the need to fit it. My mpg also increased.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 Jul 2018 18:28 #194678 by Riccy

Caelite wrote: Hm, I've just ran a quote on 1st spares. Can pick up a air con compressor for £40. I am wondering if that will come with the pulley though. I am also curious if the system will be completely knackered as it has been exposed to the open air for what I can only assume has been a long time.

£40 is worth taking a gamble on (based on how hot it is on the costa-del-solway at the moment!). I doubt it will come without the pulley on as its a right arse to get off, question is does it work!

The pulley has a electric magnet clutch so its not running all the time, some surface rust or problems with it sticking maybe from a spare part, but at over £700 for a new one, i would try that first.

The pulley has a allen key bolt in the middle. remove that and pull off the clutch plate. Clean the clutch plates thoroughly with wire wool before fitting it as a backup measure ;-)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2018 17:47 - 16 Sep 2018 18:00 #196028 by Caelite
Been doing a few more odd jobs. Got around to giving the car a proper good clean, went over the whole lot with a cutting compound, waxed the lot & polished the headlights up to within an inch of their lives. Still a small hint of cloud on them but 90% of it has shifted.

Also finally got around to picking up a set of floor mats. Went for Michelin heavy duty rubber ones, had to trim the two rears and driverside front very slightly to accomodate the accelerator pedal (which bottoms out touching the carpet) and the funny shaped back footwell.

Right now in the process of giving the interior a right good hoover.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2018 18:00 by Caelite.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2018 06:06 #196042 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic CAE's Daily Jim
You appear to have amber fog lights, are they factory or of your doing?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2018 12:52 #196056 by Caelite
My doing, I like yellow fogs. You can pick up the tinting film on Amazon for <£5. Been tempted to redo mine, the film I used on the Jimny was an old bit I had lying around for ages with a big crease in it.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Sep 2018 02:47 #196082 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Cool.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2018 16:00 #198232 by Caelite
Another year another MOT.

Is it even a proper 4x4 if it isn't leaking oil out of every component? MOT lad said the sump is a wee bit corroded which could be that one, gearbox is rear bearing seal, yay for VVTs. Not sure how hard a job it is but it isn't ideal considering I've just lost my lockup.
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 Nov 2018 17:54 #198239 by Riccy
Might be just the prop leaking? clean it up, go for a spin then see whats slimy :laugh:

You can change the prop by putting the rear onto ramps. This stops the gearbox oil pouring out all over you when you remove the prop ;-) was a known baddie on the earlier VVTs (like mine :angry:)

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2018 18:52 #198245 by Caelite
To be honest I'd probably change the gearbox oil anyway. I doubt it has been done since the car left the factory. and year rear prop seal is what I meant to say. :D

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2019 17:35 #206298 by Caelite
Well, haven't updated in a while, prop shaft oil seal was replaced, however something else has now sprung a leak further back, which I imagine must be the transfer case. Yet to be investigated. Finally gave in and gave the car to a garage today, I now have a new passenger side kingpin bearing, rebuilt driver side brake caliper, two new discs & some EBC green stuffs across the front axle. Got back from my holiday a couple of weeks ago to a siezed driver side front brake which just completely goosed it's pad & disc.

Hurt the ol' wallet but car feels fantastic.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds