BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny

More
31 Jul 2013 12:18 #78655 by Busta
Lumberjack Jimny was created by Busta
Not wanting my introduction thread to turn into a build thread, I thought I'd start a new one in the correct section.

The story so far can be seen HERE and any further changes will be posted in this thread.

As this is my work vehicle it will be covering up to 15,000 miles a year and going off-road daily. I'm aiming to improve the capabilities of the car without compromising comfort, economy and practicality so I welcome your comments and suggestions!

Mods so far:
Tow Trust towbar
Ebay £45 roof rack
Alpine Bluetooth head unit
Heko wind deflectors (Now removed as they are crap. Free to a good home!)
Full oil change- diffs, transfer box, gearbox, engine oil and air filter. (This was well overdue. I saw a 10% increase in fuel economy straight away!)

The most recent improvement has been fitting some new tyres.

Goodbye Duellers, hello Mud Terrains!
File Attachment:

They are 215/75 R15s on the standard steel rims. I had to remove the front mudflaps but otherwise they fit with no scrubbing.

File Attachment:

They are noisier on the road and the handling isn't as good as on the Duellers, but that's no surprise. The speedo reading now matches the GPS rather than over-reading by 5% and acceleration in 5th gear is pretty much non existent. But the difference off-road is night and day, and I think it looks great!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Next on the list is a winch. It will be used for dragging timber as well as recovery work. I don't need a massive pull as I'm not someone who get's stuck on purpose and I know how to use snatch blocks. I want to keep it as discreet as possible so it will be mounted within the existing front bumper.

Any suggestions of a small (up to 8,500lb/4,000kg), fast and reliable winch would be appreciated! It will get almost daily use so needs to be up to the job without putting huge demands on the existing electrical system, although I may add an extra battery in due course.

I am also pondering a way to quickly detach the anti-roll bar to allow better articulation off road. I used to have a Nissan Patrol that had a lever on the dash to disconnect the rear anti-roll bar, and it was a very useful feature!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimnyDan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 12:25 #78656 by JimnyDan
Replied by JimnyDan on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Nice jimny! I am currently running 215/75/15 bfg muds and they are awesome. Will follow your build thread as I am also pondering about a winch etc. Mine is also used daily off road as im a gamekeeper, also got a defender 90 to use but i prefer the jimny to be honest very small and not as noisy!

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 12:26 #78657 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Lumberjack Jimny
For a winch that will run all day I reccomend the superwinch talon 9.5

Havnt got one my self but a few of my mates have them and they swear by them runs allday with the lastest waterproof and dustproof technology

Abut pricy but worth it especially if your going to be using it a lot asif you get a cheaper one they are slow and tend to overheat under extended heavy use

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 19:10 - 31 Jul 2013 19:11 #78673 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic Lumberjack Jimny
I'll have the wind deflectors, if you really don't want them ;)

That roof rack, did you win it for £45 or was it £45 buy it now :ohmy: , and how is it attached to the rails?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 19:11 by iloveics.

More
31 Jul 2013 21:01 #78681 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lumberjack Jimny

iloveics wrote: I'll have the wind deflectors, if you really don't want them ;)

That roof rack, did you win it for £45 or was it £45 buy it now :ohmy: , and how is it attached to the rails?

Wind deflectors are gone I'm afraid.

The roof rack was £25 buy it now with £15 postage. Ebay item 161069851673 . I drilled and screwed it to the roof rails.

More
31 Jul 2013 21:06 - 31 Jul 2013 21:13 #78682 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lumberjack Jimny
It turns out the new tyres will foul the arches but only with 3 of us in the car on some big compressions, or when cross-axled. The front left fowls the bolt which holds the bumper. I've removed the bolt for now but with a little trimming it should be fine.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 21:13 by Busta.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 21:14 - 31 Jul 2013 21:15 #78683 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Superwinch talon 9.5 or Goodwinch TDS 9.5c.
Both winches are very similar. The Talon winch is a bit faster. But there has been some talk on the devon4x4.com forum about poor quality of the Talon winch. Also the reason why Devon4x4 don't sell them anymore. www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_ku...10&Itemid=106#158113

So my money would be on the Goodwinch 9.5c. A great winch with plenty of upgrades and excellent service from David Bowyer @ Goodwinch :-)
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 21:15 by TomDK.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 21:28 #78685 by JerseyJimny
That is a weird case wouldbt that be covered by the 3 year warranty?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 21:36 #78688 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Lumberjack Jimny
www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=com_ku...14&Itemid=106#141813

Don't think that warranty is worth much.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 21:40 #78690 by JerseyJimny
Oh well that's a eye opener!

More
31 Jul 2013 22:20 #78693 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Love those tyres. Do they sit OK on the 5.5 rims?? Can't afford some yet but would love to know why Germany??

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2013 23:17 #78696 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Lumberjack Jimny
Couldn't resist adding this :whistle:

;)

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds