BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sensors

More
08 Jul 2009 12:42 #967 by ooky_123
Sensors was created by ooky_123
Right, finally had enough of the intermittent cutting out whilst driving on dual carriageways .. was starting to get embarrising !.

Ordered new Cam and Crank sensors on Monday, so today they arrived and lightened my wallet of £100.

The Cam sensor was easy ... 3 minutes and the new one was fitted.

The Crank sensor is visible but you have to remove the alternator in order to get at it .. No problem I thought. Out with the 12mm socket ... but wait ... they have mounted the bottom using what appears to be an 8mm allen bolt instead !F&@*$$$ !!!!

Can I get to it ... NO !!!

under the vehicle I can see it, and over the vehicle I canb feel it but there isnt an easy way of getting at it.

Can anyone enlighten me how the Alternator is removed to allow access to the offending sensor please ?

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 13:41 #969 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Sensors
I'll have a look at mine later and see if I can come up with any bright ideas!!!

I've also got a workshop CD that I can look at but they usually are really useful and just tell you to undo it, ignoring the fact that you can't get to the git!!!

How much was the cam sensor out of interest? as I get my management light on whilst on a long motorway run. The car runs fine still and when I disconnect the battery for 30 seconds it will go out and not trouble me until another 2-3 hours of motorway driving.

I could run all day long without stopping at local road speeds or greenlaning and I keep a 10mm spanner in the car to undo the battery to put it out but I suspect the cam sensor is the culprit.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Jul 2009 15:09 #976 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Sensors
Dont Panic ... I lost the plot after loosing all the skin on my right nuckles, used a large crow bar and a block of wood. I managed to push the Alternator to remove the belt, then pull it back the other way to expose and change the sensor.
The same block of wood was used to refit the belt and re-tension the alternator.

The result ..... well a blast down the A303 did not show any symptoms and the Jimny even managed to accelerate to 70mph (before I never managed past 60!!)

So one of the sensors, was almost certainly the problem... I suspect it was the Cank Sensor, but Piece of mind, I now have replaced both of them.

If you want my old Cam Sensor, I dont mind dropping it in the post for you to have a play about with.. if it fixes your issue ... RESULT .. if not, no harm done.

Jason

More
08 Jul 2009 20:28 #979 by ooky_123
Oh, new Cam Sensor from Suzuki ... £43.21 plus Vat - Part No. 33220-76G11

More
09 Jul 2009 11:08 #982 by kirkynut
That's very kind of you thanks but for that money I might aswell just get a new one and be done with it.

Glad you solved the problem, access is a little tight in some places under the engine bay. In ways like that I prefer the old SJ, it is so simple and everything is accessible, but the Jimny wins hands down generally on reliability and less maintenance, and oh how coil springs are so nice!!!

My Jimny does 70+ mph with my 205/16's on but I wouldn't try it with my old Colways on as I'd get shaken out the car! My Kumho's are lovely on the road though at any speed.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
03 Mar 2010 23:02 - 03 Mar 2010 23:03 #2546 by colin f
Replied by colin f on topic Re:Sensors
My jimny has played up the last couple of times it has been used, a week back it conked out at the top of a hill, took a few attempts to restart....

today, it conked a few times, the rev counter went crackers and it died. it did this a few times.

I suspect a sensor fault but am not sure which one to try cam or crank? it is a G13BB engine type (auto box)

cheers

colin
Last edit: 03 Mar 2010 23:03 by colin f.

More
04 Mar 2010 20:06 #2563 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Sensors
The G13BB only has the Camshaft sensor...(CMP)

Whilst the M13AA has both Camshaft (CMP) and Crankshaft (CKP) sensors

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Mar 2010 20:24 #2564 by colin f
Thanks martin, thought i'd got away with a cheap MOT this year!! :unsure:

More
10 Mar 2010 19:39 #2654 by kirkynut
Did a new cam sensor fix it?

Kirkynut

More
10 Mar 2010 21:18 #2657 by colin f
I haven't got one yet, I bought a vitara radiator to fit so tohught i'd do that first as Ihave read the cam sensors get damaged by running hot. I figured no point knackering a new sensor while I have a new radiator to fit. With a bit of help the new radiator was fitted yesterday, I took the jimny for some gentle runs and no fault, went laning with some mates this evening and still no faults, so its a wait and see what happens for now :S

More
12 Mar 2010 21:09 #2671 by ooky_123
Colin, how sis the Vitara Rad fit ?
any extra benefits in size ?
Any issues in mounting ?

More
12 Mar 2010 21:46 #2672 by colin f
ooky_123 wrote:

Colin, how sis the Vitara Rad fit ?
any extra benefits in size ?
Any issues in mounting ?

Its a bit bigger, i had to remove the passenger side mount, cut it, weld them in 2 parts onto the slam panel at the top and also somewhere underneath (i didn't see this bit. I also had to remove the rubber bushes.

it cools well so far, but my old rad was in poor condition. i had read that it wasjust a case of bend the mounts out and a vit one will drop in, but mine is an auto which has an oil cooler at the bottom of the rad so it may be different.

it only took 40 mins or so and seems to be doing ok, but not a fair comparison to an old knackered rad. hopefully the extra size will help though

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds