BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Manual locking hubs

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2010 18:15 #7692 by Bigchridy
Manual locking hubs was created by Bigchridy
Just got a set of manual hubs for the jimny. Their from an sj and in good condition. One of the hubs wasn't locking so I stripped them down at work today and they were full of dirty looking grease. There has obviously been some water getting in them as some off the components are very slightly corroded and pitted. Anyway I gave each component a really good clean in the parafin bath and re-assembled them. They are both locking correctly now!:)

Anyway my question is what type of grease do I need to use in them? And also how much do I need to put in them?

There is no rush to get them fitted as they need painting and the jimny is still off the road (still need to sell the disco)!:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2010 21:11 #7782 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Manual locking hubs
Started cleaning the hubs up today ready for painting. Getting the paint tomorrow so hopefully they will be up and running before the new year!!:)

I'm going to use normal bearing grease in the hubs unless anyone can advise me otherwise as we have this to hand at work!

The only problem I have come across so far is that I have lost the little ball bearing from one of the hubs.:angry: So I'm going to have to hunt around my tool box for another one thats suitable!

More
18 Dec 2010 21:18 #7784 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Manual locking hubs
I used copperslip

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• 4wheelers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2010 21:38 #7788 by 4wheelers
Replied by 4wheelers on topic Re: Manual locking hubs
I used a very small amount of lithium grease.
Seems to be working ok 6 months later.

More
18 Dec 2010 22:12 #7791 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Manual locking hubs
The crudely painted pair on eBay have been rebuilt with oil not grease as normal grease is too thick and goes hard at low temperatures, if that is any help.

I think I personally would use bicycle grease, as I have a tube here and it seems very runny.

CopperSlip is not a lubricant, but is made to stop things seizing up, so could be ok. Seems to go thick and lumpy when it dries up though.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
19 Dec 2010 03:14 #7792 by Garry
Replied by Garry on topic Re: Manual locking hubs
i used marine grease in mine, for 2 reasons, 1 its water proof so keeps working even if it gets wet, and 2, it was in the garage so i didnt have to go buy any :)

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2010 08:31 #7793 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: Manual locking hubs

4wheelers wrote: I used a very small amount of lithium grease.
Seems to be working ok 6 months later.

Yep that's what I have in mine and no problems.

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2010 13:39 #7799 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Manual locking hubs
Cheers guys. I will have a look at work and see if I can find some lithium grease at work. I dont think I will be able to find marine grease but you never no, someone might have some in their tool box!:)

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds