× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Diff plugs

More
06 Oct 2024 14:09 #257803 by Gadget
Diff plugs was created by Gadget
Changed the oil in my diffs today and had a question about the diff plugs and gaskets/seals.

The workshop manual states: "install new gasket to oil drain plug", however there isn't a gasket or seal on the drain, it's just a bolt? The Bigjimny shop shows a crush gasket, but my car doesn't appear to have anything fitted from new? I did have a root around with a pick to see if there was anything stuck to the body of the diff itself, but couldn't find anything front or rear. Anyone else experienced this? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2024 12:50 #257829 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic Diff plugs
There should be a plastic or copper washer.  I think plastic was only used on some gen3 models.  Has someone else removed it and been lazy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
08 Oct 2024 17:16 #257832 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Diff plugs
Gen 3 does not have gaskets on the drain

Gen4 does have gaskets on the drain. I think some dealers do not realise this and don't fit them

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza, Gadget

More
08 Oct 2024 22:14 #257835 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Re:Diff plugs
Thanks Martin, have ordered some from the shop. Thankfully I don't seem to have any leaks without fitting them, but will add them next time I change the diff oil!

More
09 Oct 2024 19:03 #257840 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Diff plugs
They are arriving with me tomorrow so should ship straightn out of they arrive early enough

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
10 Oct 2024 07:25 #257842 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Diff plugs
Gen2 have the copper washers. As i have broken many SJ transfer cases to make 4:16 to 1 boxes I have many plugs lying around and been thinking of maybe use those plugs as they have outer hex and not the inset square as well..
But haven't had any leaks or getting stuck except for the one on my rear diff that is well and truly stuck. The stupid owner have used an impact driver on it. (me myself) If it ever gets out..

The ones without gaskets are conical thread and will be just as good to prevent leaks especially if you apply a bit of selant to the threads.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
11 Oct 2024 15:18 #257849 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Re:Re:Diff plugs

They are arriving with me tomorrow so should ship straightn out of they arrive early enough

Thanks Martin, they arrived today. Silly question, but does it matter which way round they're fitted? Tapered side against the bolt head or against the diff body?

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds