× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Worth upgrading JB74 steering dampener (?) after damage

More
06 Sep 2024 00:17 - 06 Sep 2024 04:09 #257450 by GreyJimny
Hi there, 

This week we hit a big pothole (or branch) and bent the dampener (?) and steering tie rod end (?) on my JB74. See photos.  While I can replace with a new dampener, is it worth paying extra to upgrade to a heavier duty one? 

The car is stock standard, but I have M/T tyres I will periodically fit for some trips.  Occasional moderate 4x4 driving. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Sep 2024 04:09 by GreyJimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2024 06:13 #257451 by Soeley
Can't give advise on the damper, but if you have alway been happy with the std one for your terrain and driving then why?

But got to ask, how big was the hole and how fast were you going to bend those?

More
06 Sep 2024 06:56 #257452 by Motacilla
I like to see this. If a Jimny is used seriously, stuff will get broken. Kudos!

My vote, try the upgraded damper. If you hate it, easy to switch back.

More
06 Sep 2024 20:54 #257460 by GreyJimny
I found a local guy selling as new factory dampers for $39 (taken from newish vehicles being lifted) so I'll use that for now.

More
06 Sep 2024 21:12 #257461 by GreyJimny
My wife doesnt read this forum, so I'll suggest it was too fast.

But it could have been a branch that sprung up and hit it directly, rather than a wheel hitting pot hole. We were driving through an area that had a major wind event earlier in week. Trees down everywhere. Haven't had it on hoist to check closely.

More
09 Sep 2024 05:00 #257475 by GreyJimny
Ok, been to the mechanic. It was a direct hit to the steering rod and stabilizer probably from a branch that rocked upwards. Able to bend the rod back straight and Ill be out of pocket $170 (including a new wheel alignment). Happy days!

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds