× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

steering box play.

More
28 Jun 2024 06:16 #256489 by greenmachine
hey up chaps/chapessess,   apart from failing the mot on all the cab chassis points for corrosion , i have a fail that says slight play in the offside front steering box between sector shaft and drop arm.. the steering wheel does move quite alot , where do i head to take up this play?   swap the steering box?  any help much app,   cheers Liam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2024 06:52 #256491 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic steering box play.
There is room for some adjustment of the play on the nut/bolt on the top of the box, but when worn it is most worn in the middle. If you tighten too much when worn too much it gets too tight on the full left / right and still loose in the middle.

It is servicable but the worm gears are hard to come by. The internals is the same as on a Vitara / Sidekick 92-98 and US web shop Roadless Gear said they where going to make these but i do not think they got them yet.

Worm gears for the Samurai is available but does not fit the Jimny.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
28 Jun 2024 06:56 #256492 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic steering box play.
Oh by the way there where a few RHD Jimnys in Sweden as postal delivery cars. Some of these RHD parts where available in swedish junk yards the last time I checked and no one buys these parts here. But if anyone has swedish contacts..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
28 Jun 2024 10:37 #256498 by facade
Replied by facade on topic steering box play.
The sector shaft is the big spindle that comes out of the bottom of the steering box. The pitman arm goes on the end with a big nut to tighten it on.
Assuming drop arm = pitman arm then he is saying that there is play between the shaft & arm, so the arm is loose on its taper.

If he means there is too much free movement in the steering wheel he would have said so- surely?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
28 Jun 2024 11:00 #256500 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic steering box play.
Our gen3 is within Suzuki spec for steering wheel movement, although it's really quite baggy compared to most other cars. The Pitman arm moves when the steering wheel is rocked in the "free play" range, so the actual wear in our case is further down the steering chain (ball joints, probably) not the box itself.

More
28 Jun 2024 12:18 #256501 by greenmachine
Replied by greenmachine on topic steering box play.
thanks guys, ill go look when/if summer comes back! so happen swap out the joint on the steering arm eh.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds