× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Warning Around Jimny JB74 Transfer Box Chain Replacement

More
09 Jun 2024 10:39 - 09 Jun 2024 15:09 #256227 by Doctorchris
I have already posted that my Jimny JB74 seems to have a leaking oil seal on the transfer box rear output shaft. The car has only travelled 37,000 gentle miles in 4.5 years with no off-road use. My feeling is that this oil seal failure is rather premature.
At first I thought that it might have been triggered by dropping the fuel tank recently to carry out the fuel pump replacement following a recall. However, topping up the transfer box oil today I needed to add 300ml so it is unlikely that the fuel tank work, carried out 9 days ago, is responsible.
Therefore it is possible that the work to replace the transfer box chain, performed under warranty, probably 3 years ago, has led to this failure.
Now, I have no agenda to push here. When I find the time, in the next few days I will replace the seal. I bear no grudge against the dealer or Suzuki. Stuff happens. I would suggest, though that any owner who has had the transfer box chain replacement carried out check for a leak. Even a tiny leak can empty out the transfer box oil sufficiently to eventually cause a mechanical failure.
It would be interesting to hear of any other similar leaks on the JB74.
Thank you.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2024 15:09 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rogerzilla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2024 14:10 #256228 by Rogerzilla
I would guess that, for many Suzuki dealers, it would be the first time they'd ever done the job.  Gen4 Jimnys are not exactly common.

More
09 Jun 2024 14:49 #256229 by Roger Fairclough
Does anyone have details of the chassis numbers that apply to this recall?

Cheers

Roger

More
09 Jun 2024 15:15 #256230 by mlines
It's not a recall, it's a "replace on fail" so applies when reported

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roger Fairclough

More
10 Jun 2024 06:13 - 10 Jun 2024 06:14 #256232 by yakuza
I would not be to worried about this at all. I Work with Marine gearboxes and see that sometimes these lip seals fail sooner, and sometimes later.. The service life varies very much depending on the cleanliness around the seal and underneath a car is not a very good environment.
There is not much to be done to prolong the life of a seal other than cleanliness, the quality of the seal, pressure and rpm.
Based on experience, pressure washing may do as much harm to the seals as no washing.
Some seals have never failed on my cars but others fail all the time.
I do not worry so much, my car gets all the wrong treatment like submerging in mud and sand and water and pressure washing after.

One important thing is the pressure inside the seal/ gear box. I have noticed that on my rear axle when the breather was caked and rusted shut, the seals gave in sooner than normal. Just as suppliers say. There is a calculated factor for seal life that is a product from pressure difference inside/outside and rotational speed.
Failing seals is normal within a few years of service, some just fail more often than others.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2024 06:14 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doctorchris

More
10 Jun 2024 06:28 #256233 by Motacilla
Good info Dr Chris, thanks for posting.

I for one am pleased that I lived long enough to see the day when a leaking gearbox seal is a wild statistical outlier.  

But seriously, it sometimes happens that a seal starts to leak when disturbed, or a new seal doesn't seat quite properly, or as Yakuza says, a seal just doesn't have the fortitude that its fellows have. And even the very best seals will leak a tiny bit.  I think Dr Chris has the right attitude -- no need for blame, just bung in a new seal and keep on.

Though with 4 years and not a single mile off-road, it could be that the Jimny simply misses its natural environment. Time to go out and get some mud on it.

More
10 Jun 2024 09:21 #256234 by Rogerzilla
There's an old engineering maxim that "for a seal to seal, it has to leak".  What this means is that there has to be some lubrication of the seal lip, or it quickly burns/gets torn and creates clearance and a real leak.  Single lip seals are always a bit of a compromise in this respect.

More
10 Jun 2024 21:52 #256248 by yakuza
Actually if the axle is too polished there is no way for the new seal to Micro grind the tip of the lip to the surface and less likely a good lubrication. there could also be Micro grooves in a spiral form in the correct pattern depending on the direction of rotation, to transport oil on the lip surface, back in to the inside of the seal.
But now it is getting nerdy :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds