BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suspect rear wheel bearing broken

More
19 Apr 2024 17:51 - 19 Apr 2024 17:52 #255673 by hmihov
hey guys,
I have a Jimny 2002 and been hearing a humming/grinding noise for the past week. I finally got around at looking what is it really.
I thought at the begining that it could be the breaks but after oppening the drum it looks like the breaks aren't the problem.
I've attached a video of what I can hear when rotating ... it doesn't sound good. The only thing i can think of is the bearing.

youtube.com/shorts/fVOuicqHUy8?feature=shared

What do you think ?
Last edit: 19 Apr 2024 17:52 by hmihov.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2024 08:35 #255688 by DrRobin
It could be a wheel bearing if it has collapsed, but I am not sure the sound is correct. Normally they rubble for a while then when they collapse the car is usually unable to be driven, at least that has been my experience.

I wonder if it is a drive shaft or the rear diff?

If you put the car in gear does it still turn easily or does it lock? If it still turns easily then it’s more likely to be the drive shaft or diff than a wheel bearing.

Someone else might know better than me on the Jimny.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Apr 2024 14:36 #255694 by fordem
Put the back of the car on jack stands, if you have someone to assist you, get on your back under the car so your head is between the diff pumpkin and the wheel and have your assistant turn the wheel, you should be able to tell which ear the sound is closer to. If you're by yourself, put the wheel back on so you can turn it from under the car.

More
20 Apr 2024 15:25 #255696 by Roger Fairclough
First choice is a mechanics stethoscope or second best a long handled screwdriver. If first choice place rod next to bearing housing or if second choice use tip of driver at same place. Turn as in your video. Then try at diff.

Roger

More
23 Apr 2024 13:26 #255744 by hmihov
that's a good idea. I'll do that in the weekend.

More
23 Apr 2024 13:28 #255745 by hmihov
Quick update on this. I drove the car and there was a moment where it became unstable, i honestly thought i've blown a tire so i stopped. No tire, but it leaked oiled from the break drum. So i guess the oil seal hos gone now.

Planning to to pull out the shaft? out and see what's broken. I've ordered a seal and a bearing kit. I hope that's it and not the diff.

More
23 Apr 2024 16:36 #255746 by DrRobin
Unfortunately a collapsed bearing and a broken shaft would both potentially cause the oil seal to go.

You can easily check for a broken shaft, just jack the wheel, put the car in gear and with the hand brake off and see if the wheel turns. If it does, either the drive shaft has snapped or there is a fault with the diff.

If it is locked in place (by the engine and prop shaft then it won't turn.

You could also try in in neutral and turn the prop shaft by hand, the jacked wheel should rotate.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Apr 2024 17:10 #255748 by mlines
If the bearing fails the wheel and half shaft can fall out!

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Apr 2024 19:35 - 23 Apr 2024 19:35 #255753 by facade
Change the wheelbearing and it should fix everything.

Don't turn the wheel round by hand when one is off the floor, or you will be absolutely convinced from the feel and noise that there are shattered teeth and broken bearings in the diff.

It is just a characteristic of the 4 pin suzuki diff!

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 23 Apr 2024 19:35 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds