BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Water in vehicle

More
16 Apr 2024 17:23 #255599 by JB74SLW
Water in vehicle was created by JB74SLW
Hi, recently bought a JB74 LCV. We seem to have a possible issue with water getting into the vehicle. It only seems to happen when we have a lot of rain and only down one side. I joined this group and did a search on the forum and came up with a post from 2013 regarding what sounds like the same issue, of water that seems to be sloshing from the back to the front down by the drivers side floor.  The post mentioned that after a bit of investigation he found the sill drain holes blocked.  Armed with this info I took off the plastic trim on ours and had a look. No water as far as I could see and the plastic plug holes holding the trim on are at the bottom and they looked dry as well.  I checked the door drain holes were ok and put the trim on and moved the car onto level ground (our drive has a slope and the Jimny was parked back end down ) and a small puddle appeared under the front mudflap. It is going to the garage tomorrow and we have already mentioned it to them.......and got the usual "well we have never heard of this happening before" so not holding out they will find the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue, I have no idea if the floor pan has a double skin or cavity which may harbour a large amount of water, which it must be as we can hear it moving around for over 1/2 a mile. Bizarrely we don't hear it running as soon as we move off. It starts after a couple of hundred metres.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2024 17:31 #255600 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Water in vehicle
Water is collecting somewhere when it is parked (back end downhill) and this then flows to a drain at the front when on level ground.

Is it on the roof and in the rain channel, this drains to the front?

What happens if you park it the other way on, i.e. front downhill, my guess would be that it doesn't do it then.

My Jimny is parked on the flat, but my other car is parked on quite a slope, whenever I get this off the drive water comes out everywhere as it collects on the boot, bonnet and both doors.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Apr 2024 17:47 #255601 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Water in vehicle
Have you actually got wet carpets, or is it just the sound of running water?

Rain from the roof will run forwards and down the A-pillars & windscreen, this then runs in to the drain channels in the front scuttle panel, this is where it sounds like running water, this exits the body from the wheel arch area.

More
16 Apr 2024 17:58 #255602 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Water in vehicle
As Soeley said have you seen water inside or just heard it? The new Jimnys roof drains means water runs off around the car so you can hear that travelling usually just after you’ve set off. Now Jimnys do suffer with condensation inside and I have noticed sometimes you can get the odd drip from the around the rear view mirror area although never seen any signs of wet headlining. They are bare metal the other side of the roof lining so usually that’s soaking wet if you were to remove the headlining. 

More
16 Apr 2024 21:33 #255605 by JB74SLW
Replied by JB74SLW on topic Water in vehicle
Hi, I only mentioned that it had been parked on the slope as I wanted to see if the water would pool at the rear of the car. Most of the time its parked on the flat. I have checked to see how much water has collected on the roof, but the sound we get when driving sounds like a flood of water.

More
16 Apr 2024 21:43 #255606 by JB74SLW
Hi there, no water in the cab at all, we only hear what I think is a small lake sloshing around for about half a mile and then it stops. when investigating around the sills all the holes were dry. Will see what the garage comes up with. I think more investigating will be the way forward.

More
16 Apr 2024 23:00 #255607 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Water in vehicle
Our 12month old LCV certainly suffers from the sound of running water after driving off - if the car has been sitting in the rain. Quite disturbing as it sounds like gallons of water rushing down the A-Pillars - but fortunately none of the whooshing water deposits into the interior it just exits the body onto the road. Internally, the LCV has had a very few drips of moisture from the sensor box on the front windscreen, that dribbled down the windscreen - after a visual inspection I put it down to condensation? Certainly no sign of a damaged windscreen or seal to let the rain get in.

More
17 Apr 2024 07:48 #255610 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Water in vehicle
It does sound like what you are hearing is normal for the Gen4 Jimny. I have heard it in mine since new in 2019. If you por water through the slits in windscreen scuttle panel you will hear it and see it exit at the rear of the wheel arch.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2024 08:17 #255611 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Water in vehicle
They all do that.  Don't worry about it.

More
18 Apr 2024 20:43 #255656 by JB74SLW
Hi, thanks very much for the info I will test it out, I'm just very curious to how the water was getting in.

More
18 Apr 2024 21:35 #255657 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Water in vehicle
The gurgling noise you hear is water sat in the roof gullies being disturbed as you drive, you won't get it if you park facing downhill as the water drains away. When you do get it, brake hard and the water will come shooting onto the windscreen and the noise will vanish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JB74SLW

More
15 May 2024 19:28 #255966 by JB74SLW
Many thanks to all the contributors who gave information. It seems it was water off the roof going into the scuttle and draining down, i never realised how much water collected on the roof.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds