BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Reduction gears in gen4 auto

More
02 Dec 2023 19:15 #252589 by Bradders91
Finally got around to fitting -15% reduction gears to my jimny here in Iceland. To cope with the 31" tyres and ready it for the 33" conversion.

Was all going well until I knocked the selector forks and the syncro blew apart, sending the springs and ball bearings across the garage..... 12 hours later I had it all back together and it works really well. I now know much more than wanted to know about transfer cases........ and have had no sleep haha. Oh well, one thing about living here is that you have very few options for getting a garage to do this for you..... so I am learning the hard way.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2023 07:24 #252598 by giacomom
Hi Bradders91
great job on being able to run the 31", which kit did you purchase ?
Giacomo

More
04 Dec 2023 08:56 #252600 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Reduction gears in gen4 auto
Haha just like when did my Gen 3 transfer case. The three balls and springs flew off three times at least, and for some strange reason and stroke of luck, i found the missing ball every time.

My garage is not so tidy and full of stuff but still it did not get lost.
Tried to place a cloth over the case to catch the ball when it flew off, but one allways got lost. Tried to use tape to keep it in but then it flew off when removing the tape.

I found a crack in my syncro ring that made it difficult to mount, so had to wait for a new one to come from Japan or main EU storage. With a new ring i got it in with the balls and springs at first attempt when I had all the training.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
17 Dec 2023 13:02 #252909 by Bradders91
Hi Bradders91
great job on being able to run the 31", which kit did you purchase ?
Giacomo

I got the sumo gears -15% high and low kit

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds