× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil warning light

• nogbad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2023 19:55 #250601 by nogbad
Oil warning light was created by nogbad
My wife's 2019 Jimny had 4th service at weekend at the Suzuki garage,we drove the fifty miles home no problem, she got car out of garage today and oil warning light stayed on she took it down road to shops then came home the warning light still on.I checked oil level when I got home which was fine and everything looks ok, the cars only done 5k and never had a problem going to phone the garage up in morning but has anyone any ideas what could be wrong plz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2023 20:58 #250605 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Oil warning light
I would guess the garage didn't reset the service light (oil light is used as service reminder).

More
31 Aug 2023 21:31 - 31 Aug 2023 21:33 #250606 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Oil warning light

I would guess the garage didn't reset the service light (oil light is used as service reminder).

Can you tell me where you found this please, there is no mention of it in my owner's manual (or if there is I haven't found it), and given the risk of engine damage if the oil pressure light is ignored, I can't see any vehicle manufacturer in their right mind doing it this way.

Here's what my owner's manual says...

I've had oil pressure light switches fail, and since the car has been driven without a problem, it's quite likely that this is what has happened, but I would strongly suggest that the car not be driven until it has been checked, as if in fact there is an oil pressure issue, engine damage can occur.

I wouldn't risk driving the car to the garage, the last time I had it happen, (it has happened more than once) I got the garage to send a mechanic  out.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2023 21:33 by fordem. Reason: attachment.

More
01 Sep 2023 05:29 #250611 by Finners
Replied by Finners on topic Oil warning light
As others have said could be the switch , but don’t drive it , have you got AA or other breakdown coverage, or failing that get the garage out to look at it ,

More
01 Sep 2023 06:18 #250613 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Oil warning light
What colour is the warning.

Yellow = service light
Red = oil pressure/level

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• nogbad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2023 12:33 #250619 by nogbad
Replied by nogbad on topic Re:Oil warning light
The garage says the warning light just needs switching of and it's ok to drive, will check color tonight when I get home .was going to drive the car back to garage tomorrow morning but after reading the comments here unsure now

More
01 Sep 2023 12:51 #250621 by Roger Fairclough
A warning light is there for a reason and should not be ignored. I fitted an oil pressure gauge along with water temp. and voltmeter. This combo gives peace of mind. The oil pressure warning light - we call them idiot lights for obvious reasons - cannot, to my knowledge, be switched off.

Roger

More
01 Sep 2023 13:27 #250624 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Oil warning light

Can you tell me where you found this please, there is no mention of it in my owner's manual (or if there is I haven't found it), and given the risk of engine damage if the oil pressure light is ignored, I can't see any vehicle manufacturer in their right mind doing it this way.

Here's what my owner's manual says...

I've had oil pressure light switches fail, and since the car has been driven without a problem, it's quite likely that this is what has happened, but I would strongly suggest that the car not be driven until it has been checked, as if in fact there is an oil pressure issue, engine damage can occur.

I wouldn't risk driving the car to the garage, the last time I had it happen, (it has happened more than once) I got the garage to send a mechanic  out.
I was presuming the NOGBAD was meaning this light, with him saying it had just been in for a service and dipstick was reading ok.

Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2023 15:28 #250628 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Oil warning light
People are showing you the Oil light on page 2-44 of the UK manual - if this is on (RED) you have an oil pressure issue and you should not drive

However if the Oil light on Page 2-53 is on (YELLOW) then the service indicator has not been reset.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2023 17:33 #250632 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil warning light
It is almost certainly the switch or its wiring, but could also be caused by a blocked oil pickup or a very worn oil pump. Neither of these is very likely on a 5,000 mile car. On a 500,000 mile car, maybe!

More
01 Sep 2023 21:35 #250636 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Oil warning light
The oil pressure (or rather lack of it) light is red and inside the rev counter.

If it is on then there is A Problem, most likely a faulty switch or wiring fault. If there actually was no oil pressure, driving it to the shops & back would have the engine knocking and clanging like the Devil by now, if it hadn't seized solid on the way.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• nogbad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2023 21:03 #250642 by nogbad
Replied by nogbad on topic Oil warning light
Update, thanks for all the helpful replies I'm still under the original Suzuki AA cover so they came around last night , the technician said it was the amber service light not been reset during the service which he did for me, that's all that's wrong and thanked me for a easy job on a Friday night, again thank you all for the help.But told the wife just short trips in it for a while to make sure .

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds