× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Yet another boot panel (and rear wheel wells) rust thread - idiot-proof DIY?

More
25 Jul 2023 21:51 #249999 by Scimike
Looking good, nice to see some progress.
The plate they have fitted on the rear arch just goes to show how a rust repair area is much larger than the rust you can actually see. Its good to know it's been chopped out.
M

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2023 05:28 #250001 by yakuza
Looking like they do good work with no shortcuts.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
26 Jul 2023 08:05 #250002 by lesgrandepotato

More
03 Aug 2023 16:03 #250104 by GandHisJimny
Progress! Got these photos from the garage, going to pick her up tomorrow. The only issue was that they said that the boot panel didn't fit properly in the back (per image) and so they had to fabricate a bridging piece. I wasn't expecting this, the panel was an OEM 62100-81811 from Jimnybits, but I guess there are different rear crossmembers depending on model (??). Either way, should be fine now.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
03 Aug 2023 16:07 #250105 by GandHisJimny
I'll give an update tomorrow once I've picked it up and will be sure to upload some photos once tidied and painted! My grand plan is to add some sound dampening material too, probably next weekend.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2023 14:19 #250514 by rogerzilla
There's a good video on YouTube where a mechanic in Jersey (so not much use to us!) replaces the front panel behind the headlights, which is usually the first thing to go. He borrows a spot welder to replicate a factory finish - some people would drill and plug weld instead.

It's an involved job - I've seen £300 suggested for this repair by some people but that looks like a £800-1000 job to me.

More
07 Sep 2023 10:11 #250703 by GandHisJimny
Hey Roger, that's probably what will end up needing doing at some point in the future - for now it's not wickedly bad!

I realise I said I'd come back to this thread and show the finished article so here we are. Used some MIPA 2K epoxy primer (stuff that comes in a cool aerosol can where to push a button to mix the components) and then Hammerite smooth dark green on top. Far from professional but it's all hidden away under panels, seats etc so I don't really mind. Image was from when it was still wet so looks tacky but has tidied itself up in our Indian summer!

Now my problem is rear wheel arches and tbh if I had realised they needed doing too I might not have started this endeavour

The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2023 12:23 #250705 by rogerzilla
That looks good.  I wouldn't worry about appearances.  Mine only had surface rust on the inside (the car must have been allowed to become damp inside, as there's surface rust on a few other bare steel bits like the seat hinges).  I sanded it down and slapped cold galvanising primer on it.  It's covered by carpet, anyway.

More
01 Oct 2023 15:48 #251119 by Paul4A
Seems to me that the garage did an excellent job.   You might want to name them and give their details so that others nearby may consider going to the same garage.

Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

More
03 Oct 2023 20:49 #251173 by GandHisJimny
Yep quite right. It was Preserve and Protect based in Johnstone near Paisley (Scotland). The welder was a chap called Stuart, I think he has moved away down to England to be with family now but his work was top notch. The guy who runs the place, Mark, is also great - very up front and honest.

More
03 Oct 2023 20:56 - 03 Oct 2023 20:56 #251174 by GandHisJimny
Oh and to affirmatively answer my thread title - you cannot DIY this lol. Not unless you actually know what you are doing, have a welder, axle grinder, garage space etc. Pluckiness alone is not enough!

I wish it were because I've managed a bunch of other things with the jimmer by myself but yeah, this is / was stretch too far.

Last edit: 03 Oct 2023 20:56 by GandHisJimny.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds