BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Headlights not working on dipped beam

More
01 Mar 2023 21:39 #247828 by Jimnytime
New to big jimny, already tried to post but can't see it on the forum. 
jimny sot top auto 2001 g13bb.
Just the dipped beam headlights stopped working suddenly. High beam and all other lights work. I can't find any headlight relays but 15A fuses next to battery both ok but no power to them on dipped beam. Any advice or help appreciated thanks 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2023 05:22 #247834 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately electric is out of my area of expertise but if you have checked the fuse the next thing I would look at is the earth and continuity between the fuse location and the lamp. Also have you checked the lamps themselves as I have been victim of cheap Halfords lamps failing at almost the exact same time and thinking it was more sinister?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Mar 2023 07:38 #247836 by mlines
As per email.

There are no relays on your version.

The headlights are negative switched.

Therefore there is a single live from the fuse to the bulbs and a separate earth feed for each of main and dip back to the steering switch.

Check the fuse and positive supply to bulbs then ground the other side of the bulb and it will come on.

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Mar 2023 13:51 #247845 by Jimnytime
Thank you, i will try that.

More
02 Mar 2023 15:18 #247846 by yakuza
same thing happened to me, as i was having problems with my trailer blowing fuses. Found that both bulbs had gone at the same time :)
I was worried it was something bad, but just the bulbs.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Mar 2023 18:51 #247872 by Jimnytime
Ok thanks, tried the cable from dipped side of bulb to body/negative and yes headlights came on, so not the bulbs.
So i presume its a wireing fault or the actual swtch. I had a call back from suzuki who confirmed no seperate relays, he seemed to think there is a relay built into the switch, price for new switch £458 inc vat!! The other thing i noticed was when i removed either of the left or right headlight fuses separately (with it on highbeam) the light didn't fully go of the high beam bulb was on very faint (brightness slightly less than the side light) this was the same for each fuse/light! I presume this shouldn't happen, so presume the two feeds are touching somehow. Any thoughts or advice appreciated, thanks.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds