BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ja22 Automatic transmission fluid

More
18 Feb 2023 22:44 #247669 by Bennyb7
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently imported a 1996 jimny wild wind (ja22w). Pictures will be my next post! I want to do a complete fluid change so I can drive with peace of mind. Thi wiki was super helpful with almost everything but I couldn't seem to find what fluid goes in the automatic transmission. Its gotta be different from the transfer case right? Can anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2023 09:54 #247670 by mlines
Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid such as DEXRON IIE should be fine

If I recall, the fluid drain only drains 1/3 of the fluid so to completely refresh the fluid you have to disassemble the pan or pump the fluid out or regularly change just 1/3 of the fluid to increase the freshness.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bennyb7

More
19 Feb 2023 20:32 #247675 by LesNewell
Most of the fluid stays in the torque converter so even dropping the pan doesn't help. If the fluid is red and doesn't smell burned drain as much as you can, refill and drive it a couple of miles then repeat. If it is black or smells bad another way to flush it is to drop one of the oil cooler hoses off the radiator, put a catch bucket underneath then start the engine. Pour in fresh as fast as it is pumped out (basically as fast as you can pour it in). If I remember correctly the right hand hose is the pressure side. Note that this technique is potentially a bit risky. You could dislodge dirt in the system and block a valve or get an air lock. I did a flush like this and it took a good 50-100 miles of driving to get the box running right again afterwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bennyb7

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds