BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Not charging!

More
24 Jan 2023 20:11 #247156 by Fossie
Not charging! was created by Fossie
Any pointers appreciated.
changed alternator as it was squealing and the battery went flat after a few days  and checking voltage it was 11.4 ..

Replace alternator fresh charged battery ..14.7 at start dropped a bit ..this evening I was informed it limped home with battery \ charging light on!!!!
,11.4 v no fluctuations... obviously another fault or at least the same one not cured ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2023 20:29 #247157 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Not charging!
If you put a voltmeter on the battery and start the engine you should see the voltage rise to around 14v even at tick over. If it just goes down then it is definitely not charging.

Can you also get the meter on the alternator terminals to measure voltage when it is running?

I assume the alternator is turning freely and the belt isn’t slipping?

Do Jimnys have a separate regulator (or even rectifier) or is it built in to the alternator?

I have heard of alternators loosing their residual magnetism, so they spin but don’t produce enough current for the field coils, it usually only happens with one which has sat on a shelf for a few years.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Jan 2023 20:57 #247159 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Not charging!
it has an integrated regualtor in the alternator so should be possible to measure the voltage on the terminal down there. if there is no load it might come muvh higher so if it is 17-19 volts the alternator is most likely ok but re is a blown fuse or bad connection between the alt and battery.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
27 Jan 2023 22:23 #247214 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Not charging!
The fact it showed 14.7 v briefly when the new alternator was fitted bugged me , ..I checked earths etc ...then pulled the fanbelt really tight and checked reading again ...14.7 v .
The correct tension ...11v My conclusion is the belt has lost its ridigity , if that's possible ..anyway I'll change both belts and hopefully normal service will be resumed .
Thanks for your Imput .

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds