BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Overheating, I am stumped

More
25 Jan 2023 17:00 #247167 by Roger Fairclough
I am coming down to the same thoughts as others that your troubles are all related to airflow and a rad. that is to small. That bumper is huge and will effect the flow of air to the rad. and the extra lamps, although a reasonable size, will cause turbulence to a smooth flow of air. IMHO a rad designed for a 1300cc engine is likely to be too small for a 1600cc variant, especially with high ambient temperatures.
Is it practical to remove the bumper to take a test run?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2023 14:01 #247187 by monstarghs
adding my 2 cents to the convo also, i had much the same issue and ended up upgrading the radiator to a 3 row from ebay, afterwards we actually cut open the old rad and saw that the inside of the radiator had a light oxide layer and this on other cars can be enough to reduce the cooling ability, on those cars there has been fixes by running a CLR mix and then doing a good flush and some nice new coolant

More
27 Jan 2023 07:43 #247195 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Overheating, I am stumped
You did a lot of things! Your might try the following:
- remove the thermostat completely.
- check the visco cuppling in hot condition with a „rolled“ newspaper.

And maybe afterwards:
- Flush/clean the cooling system with citric acid
- Cut open the old radiator and check if it was ok. I do not know what new radiator you installed, but it happens that a new aftermarket radiator is not a good as it should be.

When you start your cold car, with hood open and the inside heater on, how is the temperature build up?
What hoses do get warm/hot when?

I would expect:
1) Insider heater circuit
2) After some time the main radiator

I did have overheating issues with another car and in the end a new radiator solved the problem although the old one was flushed and looked ok from every visible angle.

More
27 Jan 2023 10:48 #247196 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Overheating, I am stumped

You did a lot of things! Your might try the following:
- remove the thermostat completely.

It's not a good idea to run without a thermostat as a long term solution, the engine will take longer to warm up, consume more fuel, emit more pollutants, and last, but by no means least, wear faster.

More
21 Nov 2023 07:11 #252254 by Jimnym18a
Replied by Jimnym18a on topic Overheating, I am stumped
good morning! I'm new to the team, I read your problem and would like to know if a solution was found. I'm having the same problem right after the conversion

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds