BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

04 O2 Rear offside body mount repair sections, do they exist?

More
20 Nov 2022 14:13 #246016 by sj_4x4
Rear offside body mount only has one MOT left in it with luck, does anybody make repair sections or have any top tips for making one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2022 16:49 #246018 by LesNewell
Which side of the mount? Chassis or body?

More
20 Nov 2022 18:37 #246021 by sj_4x4
Body, chassis is all good.

More
20 Nov 2022 21:49 - 20 Nov 2022 21:53 #246026 by LesNewell
I don't know of any pre-made sections. It's pretty much a case of keep cutting out the rusty bits until you get back to solid metal then get some sheet steel and make it up as you go along. You need some thicker steel around the pin area as that takes quite a bit of load. Unfortunately you pretty much have to go in from the top so you end up having to cut out quite a bit just to get to the damaged area.
Before you start, slacken off the body mount nut then jack up the body to take the weight off the rubber mount. Now knock in some wooden wedges between the chassis and body to take the load while you work on it. The original body mount pin is likely to be badly rusted but you can replace it with a long bolt welded in place.

Take a look at this thread , towards the bottom of the page. That was a front mount but it may give you some ideas.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2022 21:53 by LesNewell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sj_4x4, Delux

More
20 Nov 2022 23:43 #246028 by Delux
I dont know of any premade sections but what I would say is, (based on years of working on and welding Jimnys) if the body mountings are rotten, they wont be the only sections in this condition. There is a good chance the surrounding area will be more exposed because of its condition.

I know some suppliers do sections where the body mounting pins fit but these are large panels not small repair panels. (Martin Bigjimny can get genuine ones for the rear but they are genuine Suzuki so not cheap!)

Its not as straight forward as repairing a normal car because a Jimny has a body bolted to a chassis. Because of the body mountings job you need to do a decent, strong repair (as Mr. Newell highlighted in his thread) rather than just patching it up.

Jimnys are very good at rotting in places outwith the normal garages radar!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
The following user(s) said Thank You: sj_4x4

More
21 Nov 2022 08:32 #246032 by sj_4x4
Thanks that is what I feared, hopefully she'll get her MOT next month, then I can plan to start cutting in the autumn.

More
21 Nov 2022 08:36 #246033 by sj_4x4
Thanks, it's the only bit of rot on her, it's been undersealed, looks like water has been running down past the hinges and keeping the mud trapped from offroading damp.

More
21 Nov 2022 08:48 #246034 by mlines
If its the body at the rear then the whole section is available.brand new

£300 plus shipping

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Nov 2022 17:53 #246043 by sj_4x4
Hi Martin, what does the whole section comprise of the entire floor?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds