BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

SJ Kingpin Shims on my 2008 Jimny?

More
25 Jul 2022 22:13 #244226 by Darthblaker7474
I had an accident a few years back that smashed the passenger side front, only some cosmetic damage and my steering was affected too.

I serviced the swivel join on that side (Replaced both swivel seals, kingpins, bearings + races, oil seal, and etc) and decided I could not be arsed to do the drivers side. When reassembling this side I also included these shims albeit blue (see below) that were present as I believed them to be part of the joint. However I have discovered these are for an SJ?

Since then the passenger side swivel joint was leaking oil (which I suspect was caused by the inner oil seal failing) so I serviced that one again, and then decided I should finally get around to doing the driver's side on this occasion.

Whilst disassembling the driver's side I noticed there were some shims also like the ones pictured above, I have not refitted these shims.

So when I replaced the kingpins, I did not replace them. Since then my Jimny has a touch of death wobble when around 45-50mph, and while braking.

So my questions are, what were they doing there in the first place, and  should I refit them or just use the standard Kingpin Shims?

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2022 10:22 #244227 by Busta
They are not the correct part for a Jimny. Jimny kingpins should be fitted directlty to the swivel with just a thing layer of sealant. To shim them you add round washer-type shims that go on the round shoulder of the kingpins where the bearing inner race sits.
Using those SJ shims on a Jimny will almost certainly lead to inadequate bearing preload, which will result in some steering wobble, movement in the kingpins and wear on the driveshaft seal causing the diff oil to leak out.

More
26 Jul 2022 10:30 - 26 Jul 2022 10:31 #244228 by mlines
As Busta states, not only are they the wrong shims but they are exactly the reverse of what is needed.

In the SJ, with no shims, the kingpin is locked tight into the bearing so you space it AWAY from the bearing using that style of shim

In the Jimny, with no shims, the kingpin is loose within the bearing so you add a shim to press INTO the bearing to tighten it up.

So those shims, when fitted on a JImny, make it worse 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 26 Jul 2022 10:31 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds