BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front disk brakes

More
17 Jun 2022 07:32 #243742 by JAGtheman
Front disk brakes was created by JAGtheman
I have bought 3 sets of front disk brakes (itself a story on its own) from Autodoc and checked that they fitted a Jimny but none of them fit. The hole in the centre of the disk is 1mm too narrow on all 3 sets.. I have measured the old disks at 108,5mm but before I get these disks machined out to that diameter I would like to confirm - does anyone know the official diameter that these are meant to be?. 

Much appreciated!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2022 07:49 #243743 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Front disk brakes
Jimny brake disks come in two sizes

107mm and 108.3mm

You have to buy the correct ones for your Jimny. I would buy the correct ones and sell the others on to someone who wants 107mm disks. Or chat to me and I will do a deal on the old "new" ones against the correct new ones although I could only sell them on as "open box" priced.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Jun 2022 12:08 #243748 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Front disk brakes
I had a difficult experience with Autodoc with my other car. They first told me the part numbers I wanted were the wrong ones (even though I had looked the part numbers up from a master catalogue), then told me that only they could supply the correct ones, not true.

When it came to it, they couldn't supply the correct parts as they were obsolete and sent what they said were factory replacements, they weren't. The parts they sent I could buy in the UK cheaper and then found the correct part number for the factory replacement, also cheaper than the ones Autodoc sent.

They also made out they were coming from the UK, but instead came from Germany and took nearly two weeks to arrive. When I tried to cancel the order a couple of days after placing it, they said they had already been shipped and I would have to ship them back. Their courier didn't update the tracking, so I couldn't claim my refund for another 5 weeks.

I will not use them again, not when we have local suppliers.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
17 Jun 2022 12:49 #243749 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Front disk brakes
Same with several other european suppliers. They might all be more or less the same with different store fronts on the web. I have stopped byuing from those without a Norwegian based warehouse and i am happy to pay more, to secure norwegian workers and happy that when something is wrong i can call them and speak to someone that is more than 14 years old that can solve the issue.

Hope that you also have some sort of UK based alternatie to these lousy services.

Anyway my discs from EU-supplier with the wrong 107mm hole can be used for my SJ :)

Still I would recommend the diesel jimny vented rotors and Vitara 90-98 calipers and hangers.
Much better brakes with a bit more piston size and vented discs.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
17 Jun 2022 12:52 #243750 by yakuza
BTW: i am pretty sure 107 is without ABS and 108.3 is with ABS.

(In Norway all Jimnys from 2004 has ABS.)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Jun 2022 05:46 #243767 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Front disk brakes
Gentlemen, a fund of knowledge, many thanks. So here is where I am at with this:

The Autodoc website said they would fit and I ordered a set that arrived here but was GBP17 short on postage. (I live in Germany & work here & these were shipped from DE without me realising it......). Although I ordered zink coated as the old ones had rusted something chronic, they arrived uncoated. So I painted them to look nice, read up on the internet, and realised I had just ruined them. Set 1 in the trash.

Ordered Set 2, but no zink coated were available, they arrived (no extra payment this time) and looked fine but I wanted them to match the rear wheel drums. (Ok Ok, no comment).
Set 2.....

Then I got a 40% discount and a whole lot of credit from them just for logging onto their website, and zink coated appeared as an option again and so I bought Set 3.. they arrived all OK. Tried to give back Set 2 and after a long back and forth they agreed,.... but failed to send me the return slip and there was no way I am going to pay whatever to ship a 20kg package back to Germany. And 20kg maxes out my luggage allowance on my monthly commute..

Then as part of the final rust protection, with the vehicle on a ramp, tried to replace the drums. None fitted. They are all 107mm. I popped into the local machine shop and for a small donation (the boys were in a good mood) , they machined out the zink plated ones to 108,5mm, including inner flange. I hope the extra 0,1mm wont affect the fit. I have ABS BTW..

Now all that is left is to see whether they fit.

Regarding the whole question of zink coating. The original disks were amazingly corroded on the outside - rust flaked off them although the bearing surfaces were fine and not pitted. The first replacement set arrived, I wiped off the oil coating and 3 days later had rust appearing. They were not expensive so I honestly thought I had been landed with rubbish even though I recognised the manufacturers name. Hence painting. But painting seems a whole subject of debate and the negative comments about it makes sense to me - don't paint to ensure a solid slip free bond between wheel and disk. So I should not have painted them (yet others say you can paint....). Hopefully the zink coating bonds well enough not to be classed as paint......... I grew up in Durban with high heat, high humidity, my home in Cape Town is at the coast, and here in the UK rust takes on a meaning all of its own, so I have a passionate hatred for rust.

I will keep the spare set until the zink coated ones are fitted and fine and then I will have a spare set that I would be happy to donate to someone. With the cost of fuel its probably not worth someone collecting them, but I will contact Martin when I have finished this exercise.

Vented discs: Thought about that but my budget and skill level does not stretch to that!. Would have been nice though. (Budget? after wasting money on 2 sets?.. yeah it hurt a bit but in this whole journey this has been my most costly mistake so far, so I must not complain).

Gotta admit i am getting pretty good at whipping off the wheels and opening up the calipers!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

More
19 Jun 2022 18:30 - 19 Jun 2022 18:30 #243768 by yakuza
There is zink and there is zink Just like there is powder coating and powder coating. I would not bother with that because of the likely lack of quality. Would not bother with paint either as discs should be changed ever so often anyways, but if you do, it should not make any problem as long as the paint can take the heat and is not on the surface for the pads.

Last edit: 19 Jun 2022 18:30 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jun 2022 04:16 - 20 Jun 2022 04:19 #243769 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front disk brakes
My EBC disks come with a black coating of some description that wears off the pad contact surface very quickly but then remains on the rest of the disk for the service life. I'm not sure how paint on the mounting surface is that much of a problem as the wheels are torqued in place by 5 bolts and the disks are very firmly mechanically attached. It's not been a problem with the 7 set's I have had over the years.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 20 Jun 2022 04:19 by Lambert. Reason: Stupid Moto prediction typing.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds