BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Low power under load and exhaust blowing ...

More
19 May 2022 09:18 #243360 by madfishpaul
Hi all,
I need to call on your collective wisdom, I have spent some time searching for existing treads but not found anything similar...  hopefully someone can help.
So,  I'd had the Jimny (1.3 16v) for a week, all working fine,  nice and tidy truck.
I'm on the motorway sitting between 60-70mph for about an hour, all good.  Come up behind a lorry,  put my foot down to overtake,  and then I get an exhaust blowing noise, and not much in the way of throttle response...
The problem has remained constant since then;
Revs fine out of gear.
1st is fine.
2nd a little exhaust noise and reduction in power.
3rd,  ok on the level, more noise, less power.
4h,  lots of noise, very little power.
5th - no chance unless you are going downhill.
Underload (uphill) is by far the worst. Local hills I would normally be in 4h going up happily at 50mph are struggling in 3rd,  need to drop do 2nd, 30mph max.  Load % reading on the OBD will not go past 40% in 3rd.

No EML.
Connected OBD - no fault codes.
Removed middle and rear exhaust (checking for blocked cat)- no change.
Changed exhaust manifold gasket - no change.
Changed spark plugs - no change.
Checked for inlet manifold gasket leaks (ran engine and sprayed brake cleaner) - no increase in revs.
Checked the MAS - doesn't appear to be one.

Next on my list was egr - but OBD reader reports this as all ok (reading through a previous thread it suggested if that's the case leave if alone), also,  why would this stick open when the engine was up to temperature?

Any help or advise would be welcome...  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2022 13:08 #243366 by DrRobin
If I am doing 60-70 on a motorway and put my foot down I don't get much acceleration either, that is in a 2011. I don't however, get an exhaust blowing noise.

It looks like you might have a leak, but it only occurs at higher temperatures and higher load/revs.

When you mention about uphill was 50mph in fourth in this car or another car? I am in fourth in my Jimny with the foot flat to the boards when I would in top gear in another car.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 May 2022 14:26 #243368 by madfishpaul
Hi Robin,
Unfortunately the comparisons are with this Jimny, and it is way way down on what it was (and it didn't have that much to start with !).

Just changed the coil packs - no change.

Going to be EGR this evening me thinks...

More
20 May 2022 18:13 #243387 by madfishpaul

More
20 May 2022 18:33 #243388 by Scimike
This increase in noise that sounds like a blowing exhaust, still present?

That's a big step change that should be possible to find if it is a blowing exhaust. If not what can make blowing sound and not be the exhaust?

Maybe worth doing a compression test just in case it's leaking.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: madfishpaul

More
22 May 2022 06:40 #243399 by yakuza
Sounds like when mine had a blocked cat or two.
Depending on market and year there is two cats, one in the manifold that often disintegrates and these pieces go into the next cat. Got two jimnys in my parking lot now, one with no cats, one with an aftermarket cat. Same with a friends jimny i met In Denmark 3 weeks ago.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: madfishpaul

More
22 May 2022 11:30 #243402 by madfishpaul
Cheers guys, didn't know about the 2 cats thing... I'll strip of the manifold and see what happens....
Will report back !

More
22 May 2022 17:25 #243409 by madfishpaul
Ok., so we have a winner !

Removed the exhaust manifold and ran it up the road, and the power is back to normal (normal for a 1.3...).

Thanks Yakusa for the comment.

Not sure where your based, but if you have a Wetherspoons pub near you let me know and I'll have a beer sent to your table (other beverages are allowed).

off to order me a new exhaust !
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
23 May 2022 14:42 - 23 May 2022 14:43 #243421 by yakuza
Norway so no such service here due to the strict and strange laws on alcohol. :)
Grateful for the thought and when in Britain I'll catch you up on that if we meet :)
I removed the broken cat element inside my manifold and replaced the cat no2 with a "halfords" generic aftermarket cat. Cost was just 75£ -ish.
Now i get a check engine light once every 2-3 months or so but with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter I clear faults on ECU on the go with the phone.
MOT so far is no problems.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 23 May 2022 14:43 by yakuza.

More
27 May 2022 18:54 #243466 by madfishpaul
So the issue has been fixed.

In a single blast down the motorway something in the exhaust manifold, or possibly the pre-cat, got lose and damaged both he main cat and the rear silencer !

Whole new exhaust from the head to the tail pipe and the Jimny is back in the game.

Thanks for the help guys.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds