BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear ABS wheel bearing problem - Advice please?

More
17 Mar 2022 17:48 #242367 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
Hi Everyone, 
I've literally just this weekend gone purchased my second ever jimny, a 2004 model thats been heavily off road modified already, including axles off a 2016 plate 

I've just replaced rear cylinders and shoes both sides (originals were full of crap and perished from off road play) but wheel bearings are also knackered (play at wheels) so I'm going to replace them too...

decided to whip driver half shaft out today to have a looksee whats what.
First concern was during strip down and removing ABS sensor... (being a magnetic probe) there was a lot of gunge and fine metal filings stuck to the end,
upon pulling the shaft itself i discovered a competely battered wheel bearing and what looks like an ABS ringed bearing retainer, but all the teeth appear to have been ground flat to almost a machine polished finish! 

Turns out I've also missed a non illuminating ABS symbol in the ignition cluster at startup during my inspection (I drove from Wales to Scotland for this truck so I was pretty beat up already by time I arrived) which now leads me to concern about what's actually going on here with the discovery of the missing teeth on bearing retainer etc.

my mechanical knowledge and ability is relitively limited but I'm far from daft, I just can't grasp what's gone on or potentially been bodged here and why...
unfortunately I don't know enough about jimnys to call it and there seems to be nothing online regarding my particular circumstances.

I reached out to seller to make enquiries and claims abs bulb has never illuminated in his ownership (again, my bad for missing it) but assures me ABS has activated on him several times while off road and 'sliding in mud'.

worth noting that it drove home 270+ miles from Scotland to Wales without missing a beat so it's obviously not a total lemon, but i plan on using it on our fantastic network of green lanes locally so I need to know it's 100% right and safe as my son often comes out with me too.

As it stands I don't want to move forward without a bit more insight from the big jimny family! 

I've attached a photo of the shaft/bearing etc... hopefully one of you can help me out here. 

many thanks,
Welsh Tom 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2022 08:22 #242373 by safari
i cant imagen what happened to that ring but i took off mine and never had any abs lights on

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep

More
18 Mar 2022 08:35 #242374 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
Thanks for the reply, So you fitted an ABS bearing but removed the tooth ring from the retainer itself before fitting? Thanks

I don't understand how that doesn't cause any problems.... but I also don't understand how mines ground down and I don't have any problems either?? Aside from knackered bearings and oil seals of course. About to whip pass side half shaft out so will see what's going on in there.

More
22 Mar 2022 07:45 #242436 by safari
it has been ages like that with no abs and never had any problem . the only reason i can see for your problem is that there was a broken metal piece and got stuck there .are both sides grinded or just one side? also there is an inspection hole in the dif in the sensor place mybe something is broken or stuck there

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

More
22 Mar 2022 15:02 #242442 by X8GGY
If the seller only used it locally for pay’n’play sites, etc, and the bearing was already on the way out… add 270+ road miles to that and the bearing could have collapsed during the journey back to Wales (I’m on the North Wales coast btw  ), which could support him saying the ABS light wasn’t on when you left… with teeth being ground off on the journey home… no pickup teeth and your ABS light would have come on…

At least you got home safely! 

Time to inspect the seat where the bearing sits as they are a tolerance fit and replace the bearing and ABS pickup ring / retainer as these need cutting off for bearing replacement anyways…

Keep us all updated, we’ll help you along the way!

Dave

More
22 Mar 2022 15:06 #242443 by X8GGY
Here’s your homework for tonight -

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Rea..._bearing_replacement

the BigJimny WiKi ! (Jimny Information in the top banner)

More
22 Mar 2022 18:19 #242452 by DrRobin
I can't understand how the ABS ring has got ground flat like that, if the wheel bearing had collapsed to the point the ABS ring had been ground flat I would have thought that the ABS sensor would have also been ground away, unless it fell the other way?

It seems to me that there must have been something else in the hub grinding the ABS cogs off the retaining wheel? It could have been a bit of the bearing? What is the inside of the hub like, any clues?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Mar 2022 21:33 - 22 Mar 2022 21:34 #242456 by X8GGY
As the bearing collapses the castellated pickup ring would hit the top of the mount, the ABS sensor is recessed on the front facing side…

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Mar 2022 21:34 by X8GGY.

More
23 Mar 2022 08:41 #242460 by Roger Fairclough
Worn away whilst fitted to the motor! Sorry I do not buy that one. The amount of damage would be horrendous and the "worn away" ring would be mangled as would be the casing. I suggest the ring was machined off before fitting.

Roger

More
23 Mar 2022 09:51 - 23 Mar 2022 09:51 #242462 by mlines
Whilst I cannot solve the mystery of what has happened perhaps I can add in some background information

The early ABS retainers were a two part assembly. There was a bearing retainer ring and an ABS ring sweated onto the outside. The later ones, such as Dave has pictured, are a single part. The later part supercedes the early part and is a direct replacement. 
It almost looks like the original posted picture is an early one with a separate ring where the ring has either being machined or even replaced with some sort of sleeve.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 09:51 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds