BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Manual or automatic transfer box?

More
04 Jan 2021 18:18 #231488 by mxman
Hey guys,

I bought a 2002 Jimny back in September 2020 here in Iceland. However the body is too rusted to be worth repairing. I ended up buying a 2011 Jimny, that has the same features as my 2002.

I am now in the process of removing all the needed parts from my 2002 to the 2011, and the only thing I am kind of missing is that the transfer box is  "too modern for me" with these buttons. I kind of fancy the old stick and tbh, I do not even like the idea of having ABS, as here in Iceland the abs sensors are eaten by rust in no time.

So, I am considering the "stupid" process of removing the automatic transfer box, and add the manual one. So "fix" what ain't broken.

Has anyone gone this direction? Is it pointless?

Feedback needed from you, guys!

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2021 18:36 #231489 by Busta
Many have done it. There is a plate in the floor you can remove to poke the stick through.
If the 2011 had a manual gearbox then the ratio of transfer case will be different. With the manual transfer case you will have a 30% gear reduction in high range and slightly less in low range.
If the 2011 has an automatic gearbox high range will be the same and you will have slightly less reduction in low range.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds