× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox and centre prop shaft-What year/part number were they O.K

More
14 Nov 2020 13:13 #230023 by Rene1746
I have a 2006 Jimny with a noisy gearbox and leaking front yoke on the centre propshaft. I'm goind to replace them with secondhand units. What would the safest year to chose for donor vehicle or doesanyone know the part number for the modified propshaft or when the gearbox bearings were changed to unshielded ones .Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Nov 2020 15:38 #230026 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Post 2009 is when Suzuki changed the design of the bearings. However a rebuild will use the newer type. And the cost is likely to be similar between repairing and replacing. The prop shaft is also subject to a design alteration but I can't remember what years are good.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Nov 2020 16:05 #230027 by mlines

Lambert wrote: Welcome to the forum. Post 2009 is when Suzuki changed the design of the bearings. However a rebuild will use the newer type. And the cost is likely to be similar between repairing and replacing. The prop shaft is also subject to a design alteration but I can't remember what years are good.

As said, a rebuild can be similar to a replacement as scrapyards know how rare the gearboxes are and price accordingly. At least with a rebuild you know if been done. With a scrapyard one you might be buying problems. However if it's started getting noisy stop driving! If the bearings collapse then it destroys the shaft and then the rebuild becomes expensive/ impossible. Whilst the gearbox is out put some epoxy on the centre cap in the propshaft yoke, job done!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Nov 2020 17:11 #230038 by jackonlyjack
Member sniper is having his R72 removed and replacing with an R7ME
So his R72 box is good if it's up for sale
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
14 Nov 2020 18:40 - 14 Nov 2020 18:43 #230040 by sniper
I am removing (on Monday) an R72 (VVT) gearbox which was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago with receipt from M&T Transmissions. It drives as new and is for sale at £575. Has no faults and selects all gears smoothly.

It was rebuilt with a closed faced bearing kit and will not suffer the same issue again.

Only for sale due to a gearing change for 16" wheels & 30" tyres.....

sniper

(Thanks Jack)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2020 18:43 by sniper.

More
15 Nov 2020 11:19 #230054 by Rene1746
Hi ya am interested in your gearbox where abouts are you in the country

More
15 Nov 2020 14:44 #230056 by sniper

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds