BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Occasional misfire

• GordonGillon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2020 21:31 #229665 by GordonGillon
Occasional misfire was created by GordonGillon
Hello all,
Please forgive me - I know this has been covered in many other posts, and I feel like I've read them all, but just need a steer on the next stage of a potentially expensive fault-chasing exercise.

Little Suzi (56 M13A vvt) has developed an intermittent misfire, not that noticeable, but clearly apparent when hot, at the lights - stable idle 675 - just a wee shudder. She drives fine, but clearly staggers from takeoff at low revs and has (more than normal) gutless acceleration.
No engine warning light. But noticeably poor fuel consumption

The PCV valve is clear, rattles when shaken, and sucks my finger. Still misfires
I've tried the cold water test on the cam sensor. Still misfires
Unplugging the cam sensor obviously produces P0340. Still misfires

My gut feeling is ignition cables or (pencil) coils now.
Are both front & back coils the same part?
33400-65G01 for M13A VVT

Where's the best price for these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Nov 2020 04:58 #229672 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Occasional misfire
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that the idle is a little low at sub 700. I would recommend a good clean of the entire throttle body including the idle control valve. After that I too might look at the coils and leads, ask Martin in the shop on the top banner for a good price. Does it rev clean once it gets going or is it struggling all the way through the range?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• GordonGillon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2020 17:14 #229684 by GordonGillon
Replied by GordonGillon on topic Occasional misfire
Thanks Lambert,

She's always ticked over at that speed when the engine is warm. Like a sewing machine ;-)
Revs freely enough, and the miss isn't noticeable higher up the range.
I'll have a look at the throttle body at the weekend. Fixing stuff by cleaning it is always preferable to buying new stuff.
Failing that, I'll ask Martin for his best price - I didn't see coils or leads in the shop - hence my question.

Thanks again

More
11 Nov 2020 07:34 #229917 by skywalker65
Replied by skywalker65 on topic Occasional misfire
Had it on mine with around 50k on the clock. It's the ignition coils starting to break down. They're subjected to lots of heat where they live and eventually start to act up. It will start to get worse. Sourced some NGK ones of the bay and it's been trouble free since

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??

• GordonGillon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2020 19:46 #230266 by GordonGillon
Replied by GordonGillon on topic Occasional misfire
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks skywalker65,
You are absolutely correct, and at ~55k this was exactly my issue - now resolved
I took a punt on a cheap replacement coil - and used a process of elimination to find the faulty one

She runs perfectly now, but I assume the other (original) coil will also fail eventually.

I'd just like to update this thread for the benefit of others
Occasional "miss" most noticeable at idle, a wee shudder, and less than normal acceleration under power
But otherwise , the engine runs fine and the car is perfectly driveable
No dashboard lights, and no OBD codes.
PCV valve rattles and only lets air through one way
Cam or crank position sensor (plugged in or unplugged) make no difference (apart from the fault light)

Thanks to all on this forum who constantly share their technical knowledge & experience for the benefit of others

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds