×
BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)


BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Best wheel size suspension and tyres for smallholding quadbike replacement Jimny

More
04 Oct 2020 16:13 #228774 by roughnready
Ok guys n' gals.Just got a 22 acre smallholding, high on a welsh hill top. Mostly trackless undulating grazing land accessed by gravelled forest trails. Didn't fancy being exposed to a welsh hilltop winter on a quad bike, but need to get around site to manage it. Bought a standard 2004 Jimny with all season tyres, but want to set it up for grass and mud and bouncy stuff with a bit of towing. Would welcome your recommemdations for the best tweeks for this. ie. good mud tyres on seperate wheels What makes, size , lifts?,suspension etc.. Please bare in mind we are now very poor (oops!) so budget is now tight.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 16:31 - 04 Oct 2020 16:33 #228775 by Scimike
Hi and Welcome.
Sounds like fun.
If your cash is tight and it's mainly off-road then a Mud tyre would be my way to go. Don't have them on my Jimny as it's more on-road, but my series Land Rover runs MT tyres and it's unstoppable, even in snow. I went for the cheapest I could lay my hands on so I had no concerns about damage to expensive tyres, they have proven to be an excellent purchase.

Tyres are the biggest performance increase for the money, lifts etc are not required if you pick your route carefully.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2020 16:33 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2020 17:34 #228778 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I use mine on our farm but we are only at 170m in Yorkshire so not such severe weather. I run standard height suspension but with trailmaster dampers as I do a lot of towing so a lift would be more trouble than it is worth. I have bfg urban terrain tyres which are 80pc road bias tyre because I am concerned about stripping the grass. I have tried mud tyres on all sorts of vehicles and have found that while they grip once the surface is broken they break the surface quicker than the road tyres. I also avoid driving on the land unless absolutely necessary between December and March unless it's frozen. I go to all this effort because sheep don't eat mud and once the grass is wrecked in autumn its not going to repair till spring in which time it's needed most.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 17:53 #228779 by 300bhpton

roughnready wrote: Ok guys n' gals.Just got a 22 acre smallholding, high on a welsh hill top. Mostly trackless undulating grazing land accessed by gravelled forest trails. Didn't fancy being exposed to a welsh hilltop winter on a quad bike, but need to get around site to manage it. Bought a standard 2004 Jimny with all season tyres, but want to set it up for grass and mud and bouncy stuff with a bit of towing. Would welcome your recommemdations for the best tweeks for this. ie. good mud tyres on seperate wheels What makes, size , lifts?,suspension etc.. Please bare in mind we are now very poor (oops!) so budget is now tight.

Thanks


Won't be so good on road, but should be acceptable. But a good set of narrow "Diamonds" will be about the best thing you can get on grass and remain road legal.

www.fedimatyres.com/en/4x4/4x4/maxi-grip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 18:08 #228780 by DAGZOOK

roughnready wrote: Ok guys n' gals.Just got a 22 acre smallholding, high on a welsh hill top. Mostly trackless undulating grazing land accessed by gravelled forest trails. Didn't fancy being exposed to a welsh hilltop winter on a quad bike, but need to get around site to manage it. Bought a standard 2004 Jimny with all season tyres, but want to set it up for grass and mud and bouncy stuff with a bit of towing. Would welcome your recommemdations for the best tweeks for this. ie. good mud tyres on seperate wheels What makes, size , lifts?,suspension etc.. Please bare in mind we are now very poor (oops!) so budget is now tight.

Thanks


Hello and welcome :)

From what I've seen and read on the forum Insa Dakar or Insa Special track tyres are dirt cheap 4x4 remoulds that are suited to off road use. I agree with Lambert that a standard jimny in good mechanical order will get you anywhere.

Get yourself some Insa tyres (mentioned above) and if you're towing get some uprated standard ride height dampers (trailmaster or bistein B6) :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2020 18:15 #228781 by Lambert
I forgot to mention, my tyres are standard 205.70r15 size this is to keep the gearing correct for the motor which is useful when doing a lot of towing. It can be a slippery slope as quite quickly modifications start to compound themselves which is fine for a hobby truck but for a working vehicle it can make for some significant compromises. A Jimny can be rebuilt to be unstoppable off road but that same car would be better on a trailer than towing one down the road horses for courses and all that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2020 18:30 #228782 by Lambert

DAGZOOK wrote:
Hello and welcome :)

From what I've seen and read on the forum Insa Dakar or Insa Special track tyres are dirt cheap 4x4 remoulds that are suited to off road use. I agree with Lambert that a standard jimny in good mechanical order will get you anywhere.

Get yourself some Insa tyres (mentioned above) and if you're towing get some uprated standard ride height dampers (trailmaster or bistein B6) :cheer:


I would be very cautious of using any kind of aggressive remoulded tyre in wet road conditions and I would be quite anxious with a trailer on the back if I had any extreme terrain tyre remoulded or new. They are designed for digging through mud and expelling it in large lumps as efficiently as possible not for gripping wet tarmac when being pushed down the road by a trailer. They are also quite good at doing doughnuts in car parks. Allegedly. I have absolutely no personal experience of this at all. Honestly. Officer. :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 18:44 #228784 by DAGZOOK

Lambert wrote:

DAGZOOK wrote:
Hello and welcome :)

From what I've seen and read on the forum Insa Dakar or Insa Special track tyres are dirt cheap 4x4 remoulds that are suited to off road use. I agree with Lambert that a standard jimny in good mechanical order will get you anywhere.

Get yourself some Insa tyres (mentioned above) and if you're towing get some uprated standard ride height dampers (trailmaster or bistein B6) :cheer:


I would be very cautious of using any kind of aggressive remoulded tyre in wet road conditions and I would be quite anxious with a trailer on the back if I had any extreme terrain tyre remoulded or new. They are designed for digging through mud and expelling it in large lumps as efficiently as possible not for gripping wet tarmac when being pushed down the road by a trailer. They are also quite good at doing doughnuts in car parks. Allegedly. I have absolutely no personal experience of this at all. Honestly. Officer. :laugh:


I knew you were a 'hoonigan' Lambert as soon as you expressed an interest in orange wheels and jimny track days B). Yeah I'm just assuming from what the gent has said, he'll be using the jimny to get around his small holding off-road for the most part. In which case big fat cheap Insa tyres will be your best friend. They're readily available in 195/80/15 and other jimny friendly sizes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 18:56 #228788 by Scimike
Nothing wrong with remoulds in the correct setting and assuming it's predominantly on the small holding they are perfect if cash is tight. My Landy MTs are Kingpin remoulds. They have actually been a good tyre for the use it gets and I would fit them again without hesitation.
In the road biased world of my Jimny remoulds are not the correct choice, so it does not have them.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2020 18:57 #228789 by Lambert
hoonigan? Me? Never! Probably.

Off road I agree with you that extreme tyres have a place if you are not really bothered about land damage on soft ish ground. But they're a serious compromise on wet tarmac.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 19:16 #228791 by Scimike
It's always interesting to see another take on the same item. I had never considered the potential grass damage of the MT tyre not having any sheep to feed or need to protect the ground at the pay n play sites I visit. The other thing with aggressive MT tyres is road noise, they are very loud. To put it into context I have ear defenders in my Series Land rover for long Journeys.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 22:59 #228800 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote:

DAGZOOK wrote:
Hello and welcome :)

From what I've seen and read on the forum Insa Dakar or Insa Special track tyres are dirt cheap 4x4 remoulds that are suited to off road use. I agree with Lambert that a standard jimny in good mechanical order will get you anywhere.

Get yourself some Insa tyres (mentioned above) and if you're towing get some uprated standard ride height dampers (trailmaster or bistein B6) :cheer:


I would be very cautious of using any kind of aggressive remoulded tyre in wet road conditions and I would be quite anxious with a trailer on the back if I had any extreme terrain tyre remoulded or new. They are designed for digging through mud and expelling it in large lumps as efficiently as possible not for gripping wet tarmac when being pushed down the road by a trailer. They are also quite good at doing doughnuts in car parks. Allegedly. I have absolutely no personal experience of this at all. Honestly. Officer. :laugh:


They should be fine on the road for the most part tbh. Although I wouldn't go for the Special Tracks personally. But diamonds as posted above.

As for towing, again should probably be fine. It's not as if the Jimny is rated to tow much anyhow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

I hope you enjoy using this forum. Please consider making a donation towards the upkeep of this forum website.

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.