BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny tail lights not working

More
10 Mar 2020 09:58 #219675 by Wailin
As the title says, my tail lights stopped working yet the brake lights and indicators are fine. Any common issues as to why this might happen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Mar 2020 10:32 #219676 by Lambert
Could just be unlucky and both bulbs have gone at the same time. Or they have suffered water ingress. Or the wires have chafed through where they pass out of the body?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Mar 2020 17:20 #219683 by Wailin
Cheers Lambert but am I wrong in saying that the tail light bulbs and brake bulbs are the same? They just get brighter when the brake is pressed?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Mar 2020 17:38 #219685 by Lambert
They are twin filaments so one can fail while the other is still working.

More
10 Mar 2020 21:36 - 10 Mar 2020 21:38 #219704 by Fossie
It is possible that they have both blown, if 1blew and you didn't know for a while the other often goes as it draws more ampage than needed. Check them first as its th easiest to do.
Are the side lights illuminated, as they may be on the same fuse line ....not sure but Suzuki motorbikes are.
Both failing indicates a common wire but it won't be the earth to the bulb holder as the brake lights work, so must be a break along the loom from bumper into car which goes behind passenger side trim .

Just a thought do you have a tow bar fitted ...as this is the biggest culprit of rear light malais .?
Last edit: 10 Mar 2020 21:38 by Fossie.

• Keirravn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2020 10:11 #219723 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Jimny tail lights not working
Certainly check the bulbs first. Mines failed and I had to remove the bumper to find the fault. Turned out to be the earth wire near the number plate lights.

Bumper is easy to remove.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

More
12 Mar 2020 15:55 - 12 Mar 2020 15:56 #219770 by Wailin
Thanks for the tips guy. I changed the bulbs and still not working so it's a wiring issue it seems. All the fuses are fine too. Not my area of expertise so it will probably have to go to an auto electrician. I have no problem changing out shocks and springs, brake pads, oils etc but when it comes to electrics I'm lost!

Edit: No tow bar fitted either
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 15:56 by Wailin.

More
13 Mar 2020 18:26 #219829 by Wailin
So I removed the rear bumper to get a better look at the connections and nothing stood out for me. The connection block was covered in mud and grime so I replaced it with a generic one from halfords. Still no joy. One of the licence plate bulbs is not working and they run from the same wire as the tail lights. But the other one works fine so I don't see how that would affect the rear lights.

Any ideas?

• Keirravn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2020 18:58 #219834 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Re:Jimny tail lights not working
I had to use a multimeter to track down the break as it wasn't obvious on mine

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

More
17 Mar 2020 08:21 #219971 by kirkynut
One thing to remember is that the Jimny is switched on the earth, not the live, so the live is always live.

I would use a test lamp to establish which wire is the live to the rear side lights and keep testing it further up that wire to establish where it has power and where it doesn't. You can push a pin through the wire's insulation to test different parts and tape up that section after if worried.

Then do the same with the earth.

You could test the plug like this first.

Has anyone else been at the loom to add towing electrics? They are often a cause for fault.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
21 Jan 2021 07:29 #232025 by Bigredjimny
Hi there,
I’m having the same issue with the rear lights, I also have a tow bar fitted. What could be the problem? Cheers

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Jan 2021 09:45 #232027 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. If you have a tow bar it's almost certainly the connection between the cars loom and the towbar harness. Unless they were soldered and heat shrink was used they will have got wet and corroded. Good luck.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds