BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Locking wheel nuts - steel wheels

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2019 10:06 #216477 by Keirravn
Locking wheel nuts - steel wheels was created by Keirravn
Any point?

Spotted a ned eyeing up my Jimny the other night. I live in a rough area and don't have a driveway that I can easily use.

I'm going to install a basic alarm but one of my big worries is someone nicking my wheels with nearly new a/t tires.

Obvious solution would usually be locking wheel nuts. But it seems to me you could easily grip the nut with a plumbers wrench or similar so is there any point?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Dec 2019 10:24 #216478 by Lambert
The only reason I have them is to demonstrate to the insurance companies that I have at least attempted to minimize my exposure. With a readily available left hand spiral tool and a battery rattle gun all wheel locks are removable with some ease in seconds. It is also incredibly easy to get a replacement key made with just a picture of the head of the lock. Then like you say on steel wheels you only need a self locking plier and you have defeated the lock. If my cars hadn't come with them I doubt that I would bother.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Dec 2019 12:24 #216487 by jackonlyjack
I have them on mine.....way i see it it's a hassle to remove them
SO it's easier for the scum to move onto one with none fitted ;)

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2019 21:59 #216499 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Locking wheel nuts - steel wheels
Both good points.

I'll maybe just not bother and put the extra cash to the alarm

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

More
16 Dec 2019 09:27 #216509 by jackonlyjack
I also have a diy alarm under driver seat...........it makes you want to get out when going off ;)
Also own made pedal lock :)

More
16 Dec 2019 12:10 #216510 by Reason2doubt
When I got my car it had alloys with wheel nuts.

The moron who fitted my new tires rounded off the wheel nuts saying 'I couldn't get them to the right torque setting' (so he just butchered them instead!) I got some locking wheels nuts and I have had one attempt on them - the locking nut stopped them. Luckily I had spares as they took the 4 normal nuts off.

Recently saw a bloke on the Jimny facebook group whose car was stolen and found not far away upside down with the wheels removed (he had some nice tyres/wheels) so I think its a game of how determined they are.

I'm locking wheel nuts, steering lock, pedal lock and at some point I will put in some kind of hidden kill switch or something.

I also know a guy recently who opened his 2001 Jimny with my 1999 key - his had a lot more use, miles on the clock and owners and his key barrel was rubbed smooth to the point where anything would open the door and turn the car over - maybe worth baring in mind too?

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds