BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Front diff vacuum light - how to turn it off?

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2019 17:47 #215664 by Caelite
Hey folks

As per the title, I have a 06 VVT (push button) Jimny, been having intermittent problems with the 4WD system engaging until a couple of weeks ago it let me down where it really counted (half way up a muddy incline). Since then it has been flashing constantly, I have investigated it, the rubber piping running into the controller below the battery seems in fine condition with no breaks or cracks, as is the 3 lines going into the back of my wheel hubs. However the metal line running over the top of the axle is rusted to buggery & I imagine is perforated somewhere.

I'm just about at the point where I give in and fit manual hubs. However I haven't yet ordered them & it just dawned on me my MOT is booked next week, so my weekend job is turning the bloody warning light off, I imagine it isn't a fail but the garage I'm using isn't familiar to me & I'd rather not risk the grief. Does anyone have any suggestions to quickly get the light to stop flashing? It now just flashes constantly from when I put my keys in the ignition (before It would flash until I turned the engine off for a period, then when turned back on it would either be off, or lit for 4WD, in the latter case hitting 2WD would turn it off as normal).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2019 17:57 #215666 by mlines
The transfer box is confused, I suspect the motor mechanism has not reset back to 2wd or thinks it has not reset..

Once in two wheel drive it does matter what the vacuum is doing.

Check the wires and plugs on the transfer box. Then Google how to reset the actuator ( I have never done it)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Nov 2019 18:11 #215667 by Riccy
couple of things to try...

under the battery where the solenoid block for the vac hubs is. Unplug the connector to it with the two white wires. short out the connector on the wiring loom side with a short loop of wire. Cycle t-box in/out of 4x4 as normal, should clear...

or if its easier to get to...
Under the battery area where the two flexi pipes link to the axle. Take the pipes off and link one of the top pipes to the other with the rubber tube. (and use the other rubber tube to bung up the ones on the axle to stop dirt ingress). Note this is pointless if you have done the first option.

If it still wont go then one of the t-box solenoid's is stuck and see Martin's response about that. possibly a 'gentle' tap with a hammer may unstick it ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2019 20:05 #215670 by Caelite
Cheers lads, will have a look, so yous think it might not be the vacuum system causing it to flash right from turning the key? The transfer case being in 4WD might actually make sense, I pile on the miles & have noticed a small drop in mpg recent that I just attributed to the colder weather rolling in.

More
15 Nov 2019 20:16 #215672 by mlines
The flashing is because it is not happy with the vacuum. BUT it doesn't check the vacuum in 2wd, therefore the system thinks 4wd is being selected. There are switches and position sensors that tell it what drive it is in so it is somewhere in here that the problem lies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds