BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New guy so a noob question - re spare wheel cover

• Marks850
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2019 19:03 #215427 by Marks850
Hi, new guy here, yes I’ve got a Jimny, standard at the moment, but’s it’s my second and I love them. My question is at the moment I have a vinyl spare wheel cover that covers the whole spare wheel - how does one swap it for a spare wheel disk that sits in the center of the spare wheel, but just appears to have a central hole? Is the mount different ( told you it was a noob question - braces for sarcastic responses) - Go :-)
Cheers.
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2019 19:08 - 06 Nov 2019 19:08 #215428 by Daniel30
Welcome to the forum, I have asked worse :D

Think you need one of these

www.bigjimny.com/store/spare-wheel-cover-mounting-bracket.html
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 19:08 by Daniel30.

• Marks850
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2019 20:13 #215434 by Marks850
Excellent - many thanks for that. Makes a lot more sense now!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Nov 2019 18:12 #215455 by Riccy
Not a daft question at all (and welcome by the way).

I have one of these covers going spare with the little bracket if you need both. They came off Ulysses and are no longer needed. The plastic disc is in metallic red/burgundy.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marks850

More
08 Nov 2019 07:49 #215466 by Max Headroom
Hello Mark and a BigJimny welcome from the Cotswold hills

Would your proposed set-up mean that the spare tyre is left uncovered? ie You just want the disc that cover's the wheel?

The reason I ask is that the tyre itself really needs to be protected from UV light.
UV light is the biggest enemy of tyres.
The tyres fitted to the in-use wheels are partially exposed but theyre also partially shaded by the car itself, the spare isn't so lucky and a cover of some descrition for the tyre is certainly needed.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2019 10:02 #215469 by CC Baxter
Sadly Max this isn't entirely true, once a tyre gets a sniff of UV the degradation process starts. If you keep the tyre sheilded from the light most of the time the compound hardens. It might appear to be in good condition, but it isn't. I have motorcycles kept in a dark shed for 90% of their lives but the compound still degrades. Wheel covers can look very smart and are a great plaque for advertising but for UV protection not so great.
Chris

More
08 Nov 2019 19:56 - 08 Nov 2019 19:57 #215476 by Max Headroom
The information I have is from when I worked in aircraft wheel/tyre bays years ago. Modern compounds may be different, I don't know, but I totally understand that B)

As a side note, and possibly related, there is talk in the classic car world of age limits on tyres for the MOT; a tyre older than (I think it was 10 years but can't remember) would be an automatic fail regardless of whether or not the tyre had even been used.

I was astonished when 3 years ago I bought back my '79 Midget after selling it in 1999 (and which I had owned since it was 6 months old) to find that the spare tyre was still one of the originals from when the car was new! :ohmy:
It will remain in the car but I dont think I would ever chance using it even if it had a new tube in it!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 08 Nov 2019 19:57 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CC Baxter, Marks850

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Nov 2019 20:34 #215483 by Lambert
Furthermore full vinyl covers are the actual wheels worst enemy they trap and hold moisture in close proximity to the wheel for much longer periods than the plastic discs do and this eats the wheel. Our first Jimny and my discovery and Maverick had vinyl covers and all 3 had deeply damaged spare wheels.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds