BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Power steering tensioner

More
08 May 2009 03:46 - 08 May 2009 03:49 #656 by Rich-lj
After a bit of wading last week, my power steering tensioner started to make some horrible noises. As its a seal bearing, there is no way of getting grease or oil into it, so it was off to Suzuki for a price. £52 + vat, its only a small pully with a bearing in the middle and certainly isn't made from gold! I told them I'd get back to them. So I went to my local bearing guy we use at work and for the grand sum of £5 I got a new bearing.

Changing it was easy, the old bearing it held in with lock tight, so it was just a case of putting it in the vise and, using a couple of sockets, push the bearing and spacer insert out. Took about 5 mins to change, not forgetting to lock tight the new bearing and spacer in.

If anyone else has the same problem, don't buy the new tensioner from Suzuki becasue it really isn't needed when you can get what you actually need for a 10th of the price.

For anyone interested. the part number for the required bearing is 6303 I used Koyo but other brands are available.

I drove it for a couple of days without the power steering belt on, what a difference in power when you put your foot down, although the steering is heavey as hell!
Last edit: 08 May 2009 03:49 by Rich-lj.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2009 19:24 #677 by bazwidajimny
mine done the same i took it off and put a smaller belt on job done

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds