× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Jimny Gen 4 Diff Breathers?

More
29 May 2021 15:39 - 29 May 2021 15:45 #235466 by lookonimages
Can I recommend the new Des-sol breather kit from South Africa.
No drilling or tapping.

Exceptional quality and very easy to install.

Last edit: 29 May 2021 15:45 by lookonimages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2021 16:35 - 29 May 2021 16:36 #235469 by lightning
Looks a nice kit but,

Does it need differential breathers, are they not fitted as standard?

Last edit: 29 May 2021 16:36 by lightning.

More
29 May 2021 17:03 #235470 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Re:Jimny Gen 4 Diff Breathers?
Yes, the vehicle needs them.

I had mine done recently. Otherwise the wading depth is something ridiculous like 30cms from memory.

More
29 May 2021 18:54 - 29 May 2021 20:07 #235474 by lookonimages

lightning wrote: Looks a nice kit but,

Does it need differential breathers, are they not fitted as standard?

They are fitted as std but sit above the axle. This set move them higher to enable you to go through deeper water as end point is high in engine bay.

Std you cand wade through 30cm water or it will suck in water if water is higher then breather point

Diff oil an water is not friends.

So most people that do a little more adventurous stuff lift the end cap much higher by rooting it to highest point in engine bay. More likely you then can easlily go through 4 feets of water.

The realexperts take it upinto in snorkel and can go throuģh 5feet
Last edit: 29 May 2021 20:07 by lookonimages.

More
29 May 2021 22:52 #235475 by lightning
Well, that's a good idea then.

l may order a kit for ours.

More
30 May 2021 11:13 #235481 by Roger Fairclough
If you are using fuel/oil resistant rubber hose and you feel it may kink then I would suggest you use an internal coil spring ( I used stainless steel ) to prevent this happening.

Roger

More
24 May 2024 19:52 #256081 by RumbleAndSway
Fitted the Des-Sol breather kit today.

Couple of tips:

A ramp and “diff cap removal tool” will make the fitting process so much easier. Without these it would have defeated me.

If the kit any good? Too early to tell but first impression is one of delight. Addresses the only real flaw in the JB74 - wading depth.

Let’s see if the connections hold up.

More
24 May 2024 20:56 #256084 by Roger Fairclough
Diff. breathers are only part of the problem. The rear wheel bearings have a very simple and consequently crude sealing system that is designed primarily to keep grease in and maybe the dirt out. They are not designed to keep water out so if you wade deeper than the bearing you will inevitably allow water into the bearing and that will quickly destroy it. In the past I have modified the shaft and the housing to add a standard 2RS ( 2rubber seals ) oil seal and that solved the problem. The front axle is a totally different design and has totally different problems. Water ingress past the large seal on the steering knuckle is inevitable because it is not designed to keep water out and is the main reason why the water that gets in, if you deep wade, will quickly destroy the king pin bearings. The seals on my old Land-Cruiser did a better job of keeping water out but the workshop manual stipulates that the knuckle should be filled to 3/4 capacity with grease.
From memory, lambert has said that he doesn't wade deeper than the depth of a tyre ie approx. 5".
Fitting diff. breathers will help to protect your diffs. but to protect the lot you need further work.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: RumbleAndSway

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 May 2024 03:15 #256087 by Lambert

Fitted the Des-Sol breather kit today.

Couple of tips:

A ramp and “diff cap removal tool” will make the fitting process so much easier. Without these it would have defeated me.

If the kit any good? Too early to tell but first impression is one of delight. Addresses the only real flaw in the JB74 - wading depth.

Let’s see if the connections hold up.

If you are regularly going to be in deep water then you have to accept significant shortening of the service life of every component that you partially submerged. I personally resist getting the bottom of my wheel rims under water others draw their lines somewhat higher. And that's before you decide on how dirty the water you are prepared to play in is. Clean flowing mountain runoff is very different to silted muddy holes on a pay to play site. The worse the environment you use it in the more you need to look after it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RumbleAndSway

More
25 May 2024 08:47 #256089 by DrRobin
My Gen 4 came to me with a snorkel fitted and I haven’t checked, but I suspect the breathers aren’t extended, which kind of defeats the point of a snorkel.

So far, like Lambert I haven’t been over the wheel rims, but with BigJimny coming up and I intend to join a local club I can see I might be going through a bigger puddle from time to time.

So should I fit a breather kit?
Which one to go for (in the UK)?
Are there any downsides?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
26 May 2024 11:54 - 26 May 2024 11:56 #256104 by Scimike
I personally think the only down side is that simple wading modifications give a sense of "invincibility" that erodes the caution that exists with a standard vehicle. As Roger pointed out plenty of remaining items that will suffer underwater, but at least the differentials will (may) be ok. Don't forget the gearbox / transfer box breathers, clutch, engine bay electrical sensors / smart alternator, headlamps etc etc, the list is endless if you go deep enough for a dip.
Stay out of deep water unless you have built a 100% off road use vehicle, it will damage things.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 26 May 2024 11:56 by Scimike.

More
26 May 2024 20:33 #256111 by RumbleAndSway
Lots of good/wise advice, thank you.

Winter 2023/24 delivered a number of weather events and regular flooding on my bi-weekly Guildford to Brighton commute. Nothing crazy but 10cm-20+cm of standing water in places.

A journey I usually make in other cars but on these occasions I use the Jimny.

Only concern was the vulnerability of the standard diff and TC breather caps.

Snorkel [OTT] and breather upgrades offer additional peace of mind.

I will not be forging rivers.

Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds