BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

MIL light on

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2019 19:33 #211367 by mickt
MIL light on was created by mickt
Daughters M13 2001 has decided that after 7 years of faultless behaviour to flash the MIL(engine icon) light or rather illuminate permanently at her. I have a disc with the manual details but the whereabouts of this DTC connector is a bit vague. Unfortunately the illustrations are of LH drive variety and although it mentions about RH being opposite I have had a look under the dash and did not spot it. Is it a "open" connector like the modern day vehicles and is it mounted on structure. I want to do the light test mentioned in the disc about flashing sequence and am assuming it is the icon that flashes that sequence. Anybody able to confirm for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2019 20:19 #211370 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic MIL light on
If you mean the main OBDII diagnostic connector, then when you sit in the drivers seat, it is up under the dash by your left knee cap

If yours has the "manual" diagnostic connector that you can loop out the pins to get a code then this connector is up under the dash behind the glovebox. This is age dependent and newer ones do not have it.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2019 08:53 #211383 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic MIL light on
Now I am confused. I looked under the drivers side dash and could not see a OBDII connector and so thought because of its age, 2001 and hardtop, that it would have the manual diagnostic connector. When were the OBDII fitted?

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2019 11:00 - 23 Jul 2019 11:01 #211424 by mickt
Got my head up the drivers side and located the OBD connector which is mounted on the extreme LH side lower edge of the dash with the input facing forward. Looking up under the glove box there is a loom running fwd/aft which has a plug poking out of it. It is white, rectangular and is a 6 pin connection but only five seem to be utilised. It is about 12mmx15mm. Is that the other connector you were on about?
First I decided to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes then reconnected it. The light has stayed out and on her way to work this morning and has not reappeared. So that's good and now if it does I can perhaps read the fault.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2019 11:01 by mickt.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2019 09:22 #213758 by mickt
So the Mil light has returned. I managed to read the code and it states "Exhaust gas recirculation". So is that pointing to the sensors or/and possible blockage of the cat? It cleared OK. The daughter is about to go on her holiday and is set to drive to the airport tomorrow so it was nice to find it was not a disaster message. Her car is booked for the parking so we do not want to change the car details.

More
24 Sep 2019 22:41 #213837 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic MIL light on
The car has an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve, which the car us suggesting is at fault.

I think they can be cleaned or replaced.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2019 10:56 #213847 by mickt
Thanks for that. I will have a look next week when she gets back from her hols.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2019 19:53 #214272 by mickt
Got the EGR valve off and the head,valve pipe and intake passages are clear of any signs of carbon build up.( Right awkward to get it off, I disconnected the heater hoses for better access but even then its a pain. The worse bit will be putting it back because of the metal shims) So has anybody taken one of these valves apart to better see the valve. There are 4 bolts that run through the electric connection & through the valve body and into the mounting block which is also where the pipe to the intake bolts?

• Owl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 01:41 #214532 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic MIL light on
EGR valve ,

Did you clean the exhaust manifold channel that starts at the edge of the exhaust manifold, and goes up to the EGR intake hole? its part of the EGR system. if EGR was blocked up more than likely the EGR / Exhaust manifold channel will have heavy carbon deposits as well. I Used gasket remover and various other aerosols, scrapers and then blew the channel out with compressed air. Some of it is baked on hard.

i stuck my $5 USB china camera up there, used my laptop, and got the all clear . Only because i had one. Dont need that crap.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 08:45 #214545 by mickt
As mentioned the channels look clear of any build up. I split the valve easy enough and could inspect the valve itself better. Nice and smooth operation with no carbon build up. I then checked the solenoids resistance IAW the details in the manual Each one was 24 Ohms so that was good. As the light comes on very intermittingly I think the cause might be a electric gremlin as opposed to a mechanical type problem.

• Owl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 09:17 #214549 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic MIL light on
keep us posted Mick, maybe its the wiring at the connector is the culprit?

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 09:40 #214550 by mickt
Will do. I did inspect the plug as is but did not want to strip it down. There are a few components in the emission system that interface so I think I will disconnect/reconnect each one just in case one of those is the culprit.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds