BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Bearing retainer creep

More
19 May 2019 22:22 #208446 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Bearing retainer creep
We get this from time to time on the gear boxes at work. Often there is need for a ring for the outer bearing race. Very seldom we have to make a new shaft. Always cheaper than the spray weld on solutions.
Loctite is a good idea.
Make a lock ring groove is not.
Can also fit an extra retainer.
Welding the retainer may expand it..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 14:53 #208677 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Bearing retainer creep
Loctite Bearing Fit

Its used in the vintage car world extensively and is pretty good. I've used it to take up worn bearing seats for years

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2019 14:59 #208808 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Bearing retainer creep
My workshop guy said they didnt press on the retainer, they only heated them up, dropped them on and let them set by cooling down on theire own.
Hadnt experienced any slip. So i had him do that to mine as well.

Could that be a better way to do it?

More
23 May 2019 16:45 #208823 by safari
Replied by safari on topic Bearing retainer creep
i had that problem of play it seemed the bearing it was just the back plate a bit bend

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2019 21:21 #208836 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Bearing retainer creep
Always better to heat the collar and let it shrink back onto the shaft, with such fine tolerances and with none oem equipment that have been slightly over engineered metal can be removed or the interference surfaces can be 'worn' off by press fitting.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
25 May 2019 17:12 #208931 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Bearing retainer creep
Replaced my rear bearing and retainer today on the driver side. The old retainer had marks where it obviously hadnt been pressed on straight, hence not going down far enough.

I used the heat method and a correct fitting section of pipe to bash it down. Not pressed on but its as tight as the factory retainer (to the bearing). There was also some slight marking to the shaft from cutting the old retainer off, so I did a few welds and filed it back flat to stop that being an issue hopefully. New oil seal and its back in. Checked the oil and strangely it was overflowing (unexpected, thought it would be low). Not had time for a test drive :laugh:

Time will tell how long this lasts!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds