BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Flat battery after 45 minutes?

More
21 Dec 2018 21:44 - 21 Dec 2018 21:54 #199286 by happybaisakhi
Before I explain what happened bear in mind that about a month ago I left my side lights on for 3hrs and my battery was flat, needed jumping and worked fine after.

Suzuki Jimny 2007 VVT 1328 engine

Earlier this week I was sitting in a car park waiting for my girlfriend for about 45 minutes. Key in the ignition turned to the accessory position.

Nothing was on, no heater, no wipers, no lights, no radio. Feet were off the pedals. I was just sitting on my phone (not plugged in to the car).

When I went to turn the key to start the engine the battery was flat. We managed to roll the car and bump start it. A as I drove it around the car park for a bit the lights were initially very dim and the wipers were slow to move. The ABS, Battery, and 4L lights all lit up (4x4 wasn't engaged).

After 5-10 mins of driving it around it was back to normal and this morning it started first time.

Today I took it to a garage to run a battery check which showed a voltage of 12.5 without the car running, and about 14 with it running. All the other readings were fine, however the equipment that they used to test the battery showed a message recommending a new battery.

It looks like the alternator is doing its job, but the battery is knackered? Could it be a case that the alternator is feeding the battery fine, but the battery depletes super fast? Could the battery not be fully charging?

I drive 15 mins to the gym then 25 mins to work each day.

If I was to get a new battery I'm tempted to get the YUASA YBX5057 based on recommendations I've seen on here.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are regarding the initial fault?

Thanks for the advice
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 21:54 by happybaisakhi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2018 22:24 #199287 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Flat battery after 45 minutes?
I’d say your battery has had it
When there on there last legs a spell of cold weather normally finishes them off

You could try and desulphate the plates With a conditioning charger but it still wouldn’t last much longer.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2018 22:41 #199288 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:Flat battery after 45 minutes?
Mine done this replaced the battery feels so much better when starting now

More
21 Dec 2018 22:48 - 21 Dec 2018 22:49 #199289 by Max Headroom
I'm no eletrickery injuneer, but I agree with Paradox - I'd say the batt' is past its best.

Batteries like 'excercise' but total depletion isn't good for them. Also if the electrolyte level is allowed to deplete it can warp the plates.
I expect that for now, the battery is probably ok - but only just, and the test eqpt used will probably have done some kind of stress-test and detected it isn't as sharp as it should be.

My own battery last winter was turning the engine over far more slowly than during the summer, and now we are back to colder weather, and it still starts, the car it takes noticeably more cranks before it lights up, so I know that sooner or later I need a new battery too.

I might be wrong (and feel free to correct me) but I thought the original kit was a Yuasa HSB053 or Yuasa HSB057 - the difference is the position of the + & - terminals I dont know what the difference is with the YBX5057 you mention

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 22:49 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: happybaisakhi

More
21 Dec 2018 23:03 #199291 by Busta
Definitely the battery. A healthy battery will not lose charge that quickly. The standard battery is an 054.

More
22 Dec 2018 08:37 #199300 by facade
There was another thread on batteries. I just fitted a YBX3057 to mine, as that was all the factors had, the YBX5057 is a better version, if you can get a genuine one cheap enough by mail order. I guess that makes them an 057, they will fit in the tray.

They come with JIS terminals and adaptors to DIN.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

More
22 Dec 2018 09:43 #199303 by happybaisakhi
Thanks for the fast responses guys. I’ll get a new battery.

More
22 Dec 2018 10:56 #199305 by Max Headroom
Amazon Cheaper than Halfords - even with a Trade card!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds