BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny automatic gearbox swap

• kotapah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2018 18:30 - 12 Aug 2018 18:33 #195057 by kotapah
Jimny automatic gearbox swap was created by kotapah
Does someone know if there exist a suitable automatic gear box for jimny handling more power? I changed my engine with m16a and after that I put turbo and now the transmission can't handle that torque :) I tried to find if there was grand vitara with m16a engine with automatic transmission, but as far as I see only manual was available.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2018 18:33 by kotapah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2018 22:17 #195064 by Darthblaker7474
Could we see some pics of your turbo set up please?

More
13 Aug 2018 01:19 #195067 by zukebob
Kotopah: I did quite a bit of research to see if there was another auto gearbox designed to be used with the M series engine. There were some rumors that the SGV came with the M16 engine and the AW4 transmission. What I found out is that the SGV came with the M16 during certain years and it also came with the AW4 for a while. Unfortunately it didn't come with the two together. The RWD Vitara with the M16 was only available with a manual. The new model Vitara with the M16 (and auto gearbox) is FWD.

Honestly I think I exhausted all of the possibilities of finding another RWD auto for the M series. In my mind, the only way you are going to get a stronger auto in your Jimny is having a custom adapter made or a complete engine/transmission swap such as a J20A with AW4.

Wish I had better feedback (for both of us).

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• kotapah
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2018 17:42 #196939 by kotapah
Replied by kotapah on topic Jimny automatic gearbox swap
Here is the link with the images: www.dropbox.com/sh/yx8vwhtsfaqdsjc/AAB5I...mfG2VC7jR1MtzDa?dl=0
Meanwhile my autogearbox got broken :) I expected it to happen after longer period. I am considering swap from suzuki grad vitara 2009 m16a manual gearbox.

• Hp2john
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2019 00:41 #203738 by Hp2john
Replied by Hp2john on topic Jimny automatic gearbox swap
Thinking about getting an automatic but not going as far a a turbo upgrade
Looking to upgrade a vvt to a swift sport vvt 1.6 (124)
Did the torque converter handle the 1.6 before the turbo?

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds