BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

max tyre size for 3" lift

More
27 Mar 2009 22:03 #515 by kirkynut
I've just worked out that 205/80/16's as people are using on Grand Vitara 16 inch wheels are 1.5 mm larger in diameter than 235/75/15's and people seem to be running those successfully without rubbing issues so it's possibly just the width which might cause the problems.

I think I'm off outside with a torch and a jack to do some investigation!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2009 22:19 #516 by ooky_123
well our 215rx15's only rub the A bar mounting on standard and 2" springs on full lock, because the bar intrudes about 2" into the space that the wheel turns.

We have just mounted the new Diamond Back onto a spare wheel and with the larger 19mm tread blocks, its gonna be close. 30mm spacers have been ordered and I think the tyres will catch the wheel arch, soits eithe rout with the dremel or a 2" lift on order.

Weather permitting over the next few days, We intend to jack the jeep up and see if it will fit by swapping one wheel.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
28 Mar 2009 06:55 #519 by bazwidajimny
well i had 215/80/15 on with no lift abd std wheels when i first had the jeep and had to cut a bit of the bottem ov the arch by the sills and lower part ov the bumper didnt rub when wheel went in the arch at the top with a 235/75/15 you will have no problems with tyres rubing on the top ov the arch when the wheel gos up but i think you will still have to cut a bit off by the sills and lower part of the front bumper and the same on the back if you stand back from the jeep and look at the arch thay are narrower at the bottom than the top thats why they rub when u put the tyers on they look like thay fit till you turn the wheel on full lock the center part of the tyre rubs so yes i do think whot ever lift you got some cut is needed B)

More
28 Mar 2009 07:00 #520 by bazwidajimny
oh and i cut most of my bumper off and about 5inch of chassis for better approach angle off road u dont need 2 do this to fit biger tyres not even 31s iv all so cut most of my back bumper of to for the same reason B)

More
28 Mar 2009 09:38 #521 by kirkynut
I went and found a ramp to drive the front up on one side last night to give the suspension a real work out as we are going tot he Lakes and will get really cross axled on rocks that will be big and found that my current worn Colway MT's in 215/80/15 were just about not touching the rear corners of the front bumper when in straight ahead position, when turned fine. So with bigger tyres it would definately foul.

This might be partly to do with the fact that I've not put anything on it to correct the castor angle but wasn't going to rush out and do that anyway though as I'm happy with the way it drives. Looking at the way the spring bends, and thinking about how the castor would be corrected I would have thought that correcting it would have made things worse anyway.

Might have to go down to 195/80/15's to get the clearance in the arches I need but still maintain some diff clearance.

Still having a think at the minute...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds